Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the FSWerks CAI enroute to my house to install on my 05 focus. I currently have just a simple breather filter on my valve cover where the EGR hose was attached, however the filter shows obvious signs of oil leakage. Is this normal? I read in a post about the PCV delete that an EGR re route has been done with just a hose to route the EGR down to the road surface. I also have tossed around the idea of just capping the EGR off. Any advice and insight i could get would be great. What are the differences between running the hose down and out of the engine bay compared to a Breather Filter? or would it be more to my benefit to just run the hose back into the intake? Also what effects could I expect if I were to just cap it off until I could get the EGR De-activated?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
That hose has nothing to do with EGR. EGR stands for Exhaust gas recirulation and on the Duratec is all inside the head.

The hose that you have removed was the clean air inlet for the PCV system. You don't want to have a breather filter on that port either unless you have deleted the PCV system or plugged the port on the intake manifold to the PCV. The air travels through that tube, through the crankcase of the engine, out of the valve and into the intake manifold where it is burned in the cylinders. By having a breather on that valve cover port the air being taken in by the PCV system is unmetered and makes the ECU compensate for the lean condition it presents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh... I see. I will definitely be replacing that hose once my new intake gets here. That could be the cause of a few other issues I've been having, such as rough idle and stalling out completely when coming to a stop.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Its normal for oil to come out of there but it will clog up your filter. Either run it to a breather-style catch can or return it to the factory routing.

·
Premium Member
21,253 Posts
That's for emissions. The internal engine can't be completely sealed up or you'd have equal pressure build up on the other side of the pistons. The PCV sucks crankcase gasses at idle, and the oil breather allows pressure to be released into the intake when vacuum is stronger at the intake than after the TB.

Now all that oil smoke is sucked up into the engine. A filter or a catch can is a good way to reduce buildup of black oil residue on the TB and intake manifold. I use an inline fuel filter with a bowl on mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts