Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I just bought a new metal valve cover for my 2.0 duratec, and I took all the screws out without realizing they were different sizes... I went and had it powder coated, now I'm about to put them back in and I see there are 2 real long ones, 3 medium size ones, and 9 regular bolts without the top part. Can anyoen tell me which ones go where? If you need a picture I can help with that, just let me know.

Also what is the proper way of installing this on the car? Which bolts should get turned first, and how tight should I make them? I don't want to crack the cover.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Long as in the studs on top of the bolt? Or long as in thread length. IIRC, they all thread the same depth, but some have studs on top that the wiring harness snaps onto. Those are usually on the front passenger side of the cover.

Tighten in a criss-cross pattern, but not very tight at all. I usually go hand-snug. Its only 89 in-lbs, which is not very tight at all.
http://duratec.wikispaces.com/Bolt_Size_and_Torque

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aluminum crack as easily as the plastic one? haha funny since i got this thinking it would be less likely to crack.

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, what do you mean in a criss cross pattern? like left, right, left, right? or left, right, center, left, right, center... switching between top and bottom?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Arent you installing the bolts through the cover and into the aluminum head?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
start from the center and work your way out, crisscrossing

no need for a torque wrench, just go till they're tight, but not TIGHT....the rubber gasket does all the work

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just yell at warneej when you strip out the threads from you over-tightening a bolt or two.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
sonic, the aluminum head threading can be an issue. please make sure that when you do it, the engine is dead cold. if warm at all (as in you havent let it cool down enough after a ride), the aluminum can be REALLY soft, and it loves to strip. thats what n2o is talking about. i learned this the hard way. had to use helicoils. sucked.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
we posted at the same time. did you see my last post?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Yeah Im talking about stripping the threads in the head when you install the valve cover. Not the valve cover breaking.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
just tighten them till they're snug not tight and you'll be fine

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Yup, you don't need a torque wrench. There are no loads on the valve cover that require precision. Just get them hand snug.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts