Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I learned that because of GDI the intake valves get dirty from the PCV
I was wondering if it's safe to use CRC intake valve cleaner spray? http://crcindustries.com/gdi/
And what would be the most effective way of spraying it in the intake bedsides taking the manifold off?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
you can use it yes. I've done it before. I will confirm though that it does not do much besides put on a smoke show. i ran the cleaner and then about a week later i removed my intake manifold and my valves were still dirty. I deleted the pcv system all together to prevent it getting worse. There are people on here who have had their valves cleaned by a shop but it is not cheap.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figure it's worth a shot since it doesn't cost much and is easy to do, Plus I have 58,000 miles.
How hard of a job is it to take the manifold off?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Yeah, i mean it wont hurt anything. It just doesn't do much. The manifold comes off pretty easily actually. less than an hour to do.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It needs to be used on a regular basis. I try to use it every other oil change. I have well over 100K on my car now and it has helped to smooth out the rough idle that shows up after a while. I put it in through the pcv nipple on the intake hose. Follow the instructions and make sure the engine is at operating temp first and then let it heat soak for at least an hour before you drive it at highway speed.
Report back how it worked out for you.

·
Torretto!
3,879 Posts
You have to take manifold off to clean properly....injecting cleaner through intake man has not worked from feedback ive seen....take out plugs....rotate till valves are closed...crc cleaner...soak....use fine wire brush or rifle cleaner brush....shopvac out....repeat....use wide large flathead to casefully scrape carbon off if a lot of buildup

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finished doing the valve cleaning, it's a pretty scary process of worrying your going to screw something up. I didn't do the 30 second bursts like the bottle said to do, I instead did shorter bursts of 1-5 seconds. I was scared the engine was gonna blow every time time those Rpms dropped then went up and I kept hearing a rattling noise as well which I've here quite often when accelerating, not quite sure what it is.
So after the bottle was emptied your suppose to let it idle for a minute which I did but the bottle also said to rev it 3-5 times before shutting it off, so when I did there was a very bad knocking noise and it scared the crap out of me, so I immediately shut the engine off but it kept running for few seconds then finnalt died!!! So worrying the whole time I let it heat soak for a hour while having the battery unplugged to clear the memory, and when I started it back up it sounded perfectly fine and then I took it for a drive and the first few revs past 3000 Rpms was just clouds of blue smoke but it eventually cleared up and everything seemed fine, Throttle response also feels a tad bit better and maybe a little better performance.

Overall I recommend doing this if you have a lot of miles on your car.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The first time i did it was at about 30K (I bought the car with 12.5K and the CRC cleaner had not come out yet). It did the same thing. Every subsequent service is less of a spectacle. LOL.
The Injected tune for 1500 RPM speed helps a lot. I can do it by myself which is great plus you can do the long bursts of the cleaner as well without it dying.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it did sound like a diesel haha

I did have my brother holding the pedal but he kept giving to much or to little throttle lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So I took my intake manifold off to look at the valves, and I found they were covered with carbon build up but not that bad. I would post pics but it keeps telling me "invalid file"

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've read that water works just as well as any combustion chamber cleaner. You just get your engine to operating temperature and spray a mist of water into the intake slowly while holding the engine RPMs at 1500-2000.

Before and after inspections of this procedure have actually shown a reduction in cylinder carbon. It's been claimed to work on valves as well. The two explanations I've come across for this working is that the water "steam cleans" the carbon off and/or that the thermal shock of the water hitting the carbon causes it to flake off.

Obviously, you'd want to perform an oil change after doing this because water would probably accumulate in the oil.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Probably going to try that.

Anyone heard of walnut shell blasting? That's suppose to be the best way of cleaning dirty valves.

Also I seen a special brush you can hook up to a drill and that will clean them up as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts