Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for the past few days I believe I've been hearing some valve train noise coming from my 04 2.3 duratec. I already know about the noisy injectors and such but this sounds different. It isn't really audible from outside the car; it's only when sitting inside that I can hear it faintly and I only hear it when the car is at idle. I don't beat up my focus; I drive it hard but don't ever beat up on it. I never pushed the car past 5000 rpms and the car only has 35,xxx miles on it so I don't believe there's wear in the valvetrain. I know the screwdriver trick for hearing noises but what should I listen for? I tried it out and everything obviously made noise when I listened but i don't know what to listen for. I'm ruling out my tranny too because the sound persists whether or not I have the clutch in. Oil levels are also fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to listen for or possibility anything to look at with the oil cap off? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just grab a screwdriver or if you can, pick up a stethascope from an autoparts store. I would go over each cylinder one at a time and see if you can hear that noise. I would start at the valve cover and work my way over to the timing components and see if you can pinpoint it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I added some more oil to make sure, drove home and didnt hear the noise from before. I even did the screwdriver trick and didn't hear anything that would be considered abnormal. Maybe the paranoia kicked in lol

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
So it was low on oil? Oil life is a big thing too. With someone like yourself who drives only 5k miles per year or so, you should consider changing your oil 2x per year if you use dino oil, or if you use a full synthetic, which I'd recommend in your case, then change 1 time per year regardless of mileage. The same goes for the fuel filter which has an interval of 25k miles, but I change it yearly regardless. Also, if most of your driving is short distances, that can be just as bad on an engine as racing it.

Periodic checks shouldn't be overlooked either- especially with the oil. All engines tend to use a little oil over time. This has more to do with the number of times the engine is started more than the miles driven. Don't forgo that weekly or monthly oil check because you only have 35k miles.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not trying to tell you that your car is self destructing or that you're a bad owner. It's just that vehicles that are driven very little have certain issues that aren't common on vehicles that are driven regularly. Things like rubber parts have a lifetime that's measured more in years than in miles- and you'll start having problems with those in another 2 years or sooner depending on the environment where you live.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always appreciate comments but I don't know how you can assume some of the things you just said when you don't even know anything about my car or my driving habits. I commute to college everyday.. I easily put 5k miles on my car in a 4-5 month period and please don't assume I'm just some idiot who doesn't know a thing about cars. I do all my own work when it comes to fixing something or maintenance. I appreciate your 2cents but please stay on topic. Thanks.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Whynotthinkwhynot was making a valid point. Your car is 7 years old with only 35,000 miles on it. That is an average of 5,000 miles a year. Dont get snippy with someone who is a veteran on this forum and is only known for having positive things to say.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not getting "snippy" with anyone. I didnt buy the car brand new, I purchased it 5 months ago with right around 30k miles on it so I was strictly talking about my own personal driving habits and such. This forum started off as trying to diagnose a phantom noise and turned into bashing me as a driver or someone who doesnt take care of their car. That is unneccesary and didn't pertain to the original question I had. I'm sticking up for myself so don't be so quick to jump in drostedrummer89. This whole thread is pointless now..

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
Wait, who bashed you?

It sounded like the noise was gone, so problem is no more. He was just reminding you to change your oil at regular intervals, since it seemed like you didnt put many miles on the car. Why so defensive, he was doing nothing but helping?

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
716 Posts
No one bashed you. Whynot was just giving you good advice.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Welcome to FF!

Well I added some more oil to make sure, drove home and didnt hear the noise from before. I even did the screwdriver trick and didn't hear anything that would be considered abnormal. Maybe the paranoia kicked in lol
You did say you added more oil= no ''noise from before''. People are here to help other's! That's what it's all 'bout. I hope you enjoy your Foci. Seem's like you found a low milege one= great, thou's are hard to found.[welcome]

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I was excited when I found it. It was being sold at a dealership and I was looking for a new car that had a strong aftermarket because my Jeep was killing me at the pump. I've always been a ford guy so finding a 2.3 duratec Focus with the MTX75 was kinda perfect, I love the car : )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts