Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valeo’s Park4U Demo Uses iPhone to Remotely Park a Car

A Valeo representative uses an iPhone to park a VW between two other cars.
(Credit: Josh Miller/CNET)

Some of the more tech heavy cars available today are capable of parking themselves automatically, but these vehicles require that the driver stay behind the wheel as the car parks itself. At this year’s 2011 International Motor Show in Frankfurt, Valeo, maker of the popular Park4U system, unveiled a new iPhone app. This app lets drivers get out of their car and, with the push of a button, lets the car park itself.

Valeo demonstrated the Park4U technology using a Volkswagen Sharan. During the demonstration, a Valeo representative first used a remote control to park the Sharan, and then repeated the process using their iPhone app. The car parked itself flawlessly both times.

Imagine circling a crowded parking lot trying to find a place to park. You finally see someone about to pull out, but the spot looks a little tight. Your car should be able to fit, but you may not have enough room to get out.

When the Park4U app becomes available, drivers will be able to get out of their cars and, with the push of a button, their cars will park themselves automatically while they stand comfortably outside. Of course, these cars will have to be equipped with the Park4U system. Currently, Park4U requires at least 22 inches around the vehicle in order to parallel park. In the future, the company hopes to reduce this distance to only 16 inches.

The standard version of the Park4U auto parking system is currently available for Lincoln, Ford, Audi and Volkswagen. Valeo has not yet stated when the Park4U iPhone app will be available to the public, but hopefully they won’t wait too long to release it.

Source - ModMyi

Original - CNET

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, let's squeeeze my car in there so tight I wouldn't be able to get out of the car, so that way, when the drivers of the other car show up, they'll bang the heck out of the side of my car trying to get into their cars.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ haha... It could be useful for some people though. I've seen extremely cramped garage spaces.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ Doesn't the car do it for you like in the Park Assist on the Ti models? It probably has to be an automatic anyway. And, it only needs to go from N/ P to R and back to N/ P anyway

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yes, my Ti can already parallel park itself :) It doesn't change gears though, human has to do it. Only thing the car does is steer.

But if you are standing outside the car, there's no way to shift between drive and reverse, or to put it in park when you're done and shut the car off. They didn't explain this issue at all in their video.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe they had a midget sitting in the passenger seat to switch gears, hidden from the camera :p

btw, does the Ti park the car both perpendicular and parallel to the pavement? If yes, does it need you to choose an option or something?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Until a couple of years ago, I always thought parking between two cars perpendicular to the pavement is parallel parking :)

To do back-in parking, the car would probably need different sensors too, I suppose.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yeah, let's squeeeze my car in there so tight I wouldn't be able to get out of the car, so that way, when the drivers of the other car show up, they'll bang the heck out of the side of my car trying to get into their cars.
Good point. But wait... does it un-park it as well? Because if you can't get out of the car... you probably also can't get into the car. (Assuming the neighboring cars/walls haven't moved)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good point. But wait... does it un-park it as well? Because if you can't get out of the car... you probably also can't get into the car. (Assuming the neighboring cars/walls haven't moved)
I think that is what JPopNC was sort of insinuating in his reply.

No way am I going to squeeze into a spot that tight. Not with my new car, no way, no how. I love my paint too much.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I think that is what JPopNC was sort of insinuating in his reply.

No way am I going to squeeze into a spot that tight. Not with my new car, no way, no how. I love my paint too much.
Me too!

Let's hope the Park4U system comes with global open/close windows so people can get back into their cars.

·
Banned
363 Posts
"Imagine circling a crowded parking lot trying to find a place to park. You finally see someone about to pull out, but the spot looks a little tight. Your car should be able to fit, but you may not have enough room to get out."

Seriously? If someone parks that close to my car, it means I can't get in either. This is a good idea?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts