Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm suspecting a vacuum leak on my '04 SVT....idle speed keeps wanting to stay too high. However, viewing the engine from the top, I'm not seeing any vacuum lines. Can someone direct me to where any may be that would affect the idle speed? I've reinstalled the tune several times, but this doesn't seem to affect the idle speed. I found the intake snorkle wasn't directing air into the airbox intake area, so redirected that and thought it made a difference, but have since decided that wasn't the culprit.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
check around the throttle body....also check your idle air control valve...ive heard that can cause climbing/hangings rpms/revs

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

As mentioned above, IAC (idle air control) valve is something to check.
Also, a bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) can sometimes cause the same problem

Which tuning unit do you have?
Have you scanned for any error codes, and see if any come up?

As far as vacuum, there's the PCV (front of the engine, behind the header) and the power brake booster line (underneath the intake, in the middle).
But, either of those are rather large lines, and would cause more than just a surging idle speed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Hypnotic tune. Have run diagnostics and its not showing anything abnormal. I've installed a Cool-Flo intake, so the PCV valve has been removed. Can you tell me where the IAC valve would be located?, and method for checking? I replaced the O2 sensor last spring (Motorcraft).

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
For checking the IAC, see this thread:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184548
Unfortunately, I don't know where it is though.
Sorry about that, but as I haven't had a problem with it, I haven't needed to find it.

BTW, why'd you disconnect the PCV?
That's a good thing to have to keep too much pressure from building up in the block.
Or...are you talking about the breather tube that runs from the valve cover to the intake box?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, why'd you disconnect the PCV?
That's a good thing to have to keep too much pressure from building up in the block.
Or...are you talking about the breather tube that runs from the valve cover to the intake box?
Yes, it was the tube that ran from the valve cover to the intake box (box is removed with the Cool-Flo intake. That tube had the PCV in it. It is replaced with a foam K&N-style filter. I haven't had a lick of problems over the past four years until recently.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
No...that's not the PCV.
That's the valve cover breather.
It doesn't have full manifold vacuum whatsoever.

You need to look behind the header for the PCV.
It's on the drivers side, front of the block, just above the bell housing.
^^^Look behind the the primary tube on the header that's closest to the drivers side.

There's a "catch can" if you will mounted to the block with the PCV going into it, and a 3/8" vacuum line coming out of the PCV.
I don't remember where that vacuum line terminates, but it's usually at the intake manifold or a vacuum tree with a couple other vacuum lines.
There's probably a picture on this site somewhere if you search for it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input....sounds like it would be easier to find from beneath the car (since its behind the headers)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts