Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Continuation of previous post. Found a vacuum leak at the imrc acuator lever. Beneath the throttle body. It’s actually where the cable from the imrc module connects. Anybody know anything about this? Not sure what seals the shaft that runs thru the manifold. Any help? First 2 photos are at imrc lever, leak is at shaft where round keeper is. Third & fourth pics are under cable mounting bracket-Black plastic. Pulling vacuum at shaft. Is there something inside that should seal from vacuum leak. Also there is arubber grommet inside bracket. Should this seal from vacuum leak? Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CEL on-codes 171 & 1518. I thought 171 might be a vacuum leak, so I searched w/propane & only found this spot. Weird coincidence that this is where the leak is & showing a code for IMRC. Car seems to run fine. No idle problems. In Arizona you can’t pass emissions & renew license w/cel on & after clearing codes, the car & all modules/sensors have to clear before getting a “green” light to pass.

·
FF Affiliate
30,688 Posts
Many things can cause the P0171 , Vac leak , I would use smoke not propane much easier and safer

Bad front o2 sensor How old is yours ?

Blown Fuse to the front o2 , bad wiring to front o2

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cel came on about a year ago indicating front o2 sensor. Replaced it & that code-I forget what #- did not come back on. I have not checked any fuses. But I will. Will check wiring also. Arizona pack rats are notorious for chewing wiring. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, well it’s 4 years late but I just fixed this issue on my 2002 svt Focus. Been trying to track a lean condition for a year!. Finally made a smoke machine and done, smoke coming from imrc lever. I had an O-ring kit lying around, so I added one in the outside of the lever that goes into the intake it was a inch or so big after I stretched it out and skinny, then I added a small one maybe a quarter inch and it just fit inside where shaft goes. But... it would not go in if you add it the shaft then try and put it back together. You have to insert it in the hole on the back side of the lever on the same side that the bigger O-ring on. So bigger o-ring goes on the outside and the small one goes on the inside just added some grease and done. Went from +25 fuel trim to 0+-5. Hope this helps someone. And the O-ring Kit was $4 bucks so worth a shot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, well it’s 4 years late but I just fixed this issue on my 2002 svt Focus. Been trying to track a lean condition for a year!. Finally made a smoke machine and done, smoke coming from imrc lever. I had an O-ring kit lying around, so I added one in the outside of the lever that goes into the intake it was a inch or so big after I stretched it out and skinny, then I added a small one maybe a quarter inch and it just fit inside where shaft goes. But... it would not go in if you add it the shaft then try and put it back together. You have to insert it in the hole on the back side of the lever on the same side that the bigger O-ring on. So bigger o-ring goes on the outside and the small one goes on the inside just added some grease and done. Went from +25 fuel trim to 0+-5. Hope this helps someone. And the O-ring Kit was $4 bucks so worth a shot!
Sorry not the lever but the housing? Thats held by the 3 screws

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I had this problem too and I ended up having two solutions that fixed it.

1- for some reason some jabroni removed the clock spring from the DSI lever. So I installed one after making that discovery.

2- It seemed like the tolerances between all of the DSI stuffs was too tight for an o-ring so I did the next best thing. I put some silicone grease on the inside of the DSI lever shaft hole (giggity) and on the DSI shaft as well. I did not remove the IMRC cable bracket/DSI seal piece (not sure what this is called but the piece held on by 3 torx screws)

Appx. 200 miles later and no pending lean code and no confirmed lean

·
Registered
4 Posts
That’s awesome man! But here are some pics of how I got around this, incase you gotta go back in there. I’ve been 2000+ miles with no code. That bracket has an o-ring from the factory I just replaced It with a new one, and added the smaller one... and also used silicone grease!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s awesome man! But here are some pics of how I got around this, incase you gotta go back in there. I’ve been 2000+ miles with no code. That bracket has an o-ring from the factory I just replaced It with a new one, and added the smaller one... and also used silicone grease!!!
I knew about that larger o ring but i didnt want to remove that piece if I didn’t have to since it was still holding a seal.

Thanks for pics!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts