Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common are vacuum leaks from injector o-rings?

I can spray around my entire IM/vacuum lines/etc with starter fluid and nothing happens.

if i spray on my injectors the car reacts to it. sometimes a stumble other times it raises rpm.

best way to combat this??? just use other o-rings???

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i dont think that the injector o-rings are leaking air as much as starting fluid is penetrating through.

car idles high and has horrible hanging revs and i cannot figure out what the problem is.... Tom, any pointers?

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would the ECU thinking the car is -40* try and idle higher/hang revs to warm it up?

·
Registered
29 Posts
if it's reacting to spraying the injectors then your on the right path. any codes? it's pretty easy to get to the injectors if it were me I'd just pop em off and have a look

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took a peak, they look fine to me.

No codes that I would think to affect it. Cam sensor (duh, svt motor on zetec ECU) and coolant sensor which might just be wired backwards.

You can unplug the cam sensor on a normal zetec and have no adverse idle affect, I tried it pre swap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just swapped the engine in my zetec. I had an issue with incorrect intake manifold gaskets. Causing my car too idle really really high. Now too your question with fuel injector o-rings leaking I can say I had this issue. My old engine had leaky fuel injector o-rings and my new engine came with the injectors still on it and those were torn. If the engine revs up when you spray the fuel injectors pinpoint is it the fuel injector or the intake runner underneath of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took a peak, they look fine to me.

No codes that I would think to affect it. Cam sensor (duh, svt motor on zetec ECU) and coolant sensor which might just be wired backwards.

You can unplug the cam sensor on a normal zetec and have no adverse idle affect, I tried it pre swap.
huh wierd that the spray was affecting idle in that area but seals were good, and wiring those backwards might explain the -40* lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
goes against my current logic of how temp sensors work (basically resistors than change resistance based on temperature). I need to just flop the wires real quick and remove all the tape, also need to test sending wire for a solid 5v and ensure the ground wire is still operating as it should.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm no expert but pretty sure if the sensor is sending nothing or invalid, ecu will assume the worst (cold as hell) right?

·
FF Affiliate
30,673 Posts
Carb cleaner does not work as well as smoke , get a cigar to look for Vac leaks , Told vxw that and if he had tried it would of found his leaks days before he did

Have you adjusted your idle ? Engine hot , unhook the IACV , engine should die , restart and see where idle is at ???

Only way a engine can rev up is its getting air in some how

Tom

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes listen too 1TurboFocus. Buy a cheap cigar and puff it into the system. When your done you get an excuse too smoke the cigar :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts