Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just joined hoping to get some solid input! My sister has a 2000 Ford Focus SPI.

Upon cold start up:

Idles fine.
Drives fine.
No bogging.

After warming up:

Idles really bad. Up and down. [Car does not have a tach]
Upon letting off the throttle coming to a stop/lights 50% time it stalls.
Drives fine when on the gas though.

Now here is my dilemma... I found a hole on this pipe [not my pic just example]:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/chrispaints/Picture001-1.jpg

I replaced this with a new one.
Now after starting it, the car will stall straight away unless you have the gas pedal depressed.

I thought this was going to fix the problem, but has only made it worse. [scratch]
Worse to the point I put the old elbow back on so I can at least leave it idling badly.

My mum has an 02 SPI, so I have been swapping things to see if it will run better. Tried the MAF, the thing below the DPFE and the charcoal canister [yeah I know I shouldnt of bothered w/ the cc].

I was going to switch the DPFE from the 02 SPI but the electrical connector is different. I dont want to buy another one and find it is not the problem.
I have checked for codes and there are none believe it or not.

Anyone think I should try blocking the EGR valve w/ the tee to see if thats another problem I may have?

Any suggestions is appreciated. [thumb]

·
Registered
238 Posts
It sounds like you may have a vacuum leak at the EGR. Vacuum test it to make sure it holds a vacuum and isn't leaking. Other than that, maybe a faulty AIC if those engines have them. I hope this points you in the right direction.

·
Registered
471 Posts
He means IAC ( IDLE AIR CONTROL valve). Not being a smartass. Just trying to make it clear. That could be the issue too. it's located on the throttle body.

Looks something like this

_http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/data/503/3661iac_sensor_after_removing_black_cap.jpg

·
Registered
426 Posts
did you reset the ecu before starting the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts