Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is something missing? Or is it just a broken vacuum hose? If so does it loop on itself?
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
Somebody may have removed something there to put the loop to close both nipples. I'm not expert on that motor, somebody may come along to point out what used to be plugged in there.

The loop got old and split, fix it at least for now.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Is something missing? Or is it just a broken vacuum hose? If so does it loop on itself?
Yes. No. No.

You are missing the entire intake manifold control system. Sure done explains your P2004.

Paul

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
I would have guessed IMRC but knew one of you would come along knowing more.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,112 Posts
Well OP, you didn't post the year and engine. That would have been helpful. Fortunately, someone knew what they were looking at though...
P2004 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Open Bank 1
Yeah, if you're having this code come up then there you go.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Ryan,
Your pictures show an intake manifold (IM) of a 2.3 Duratec engine.

If your pictures would have panned-out a little bit, and showed the area just above (5 inches higher) of those broken vac hoses, we would then be able to see the mounting locations of the IMRC Solenoid and the IMTV Solenoid. Are the solenoids there, or did someone remove them?

One of the broken + too short vac hoses is supposed to travel up to the IMRC Solenoid. The other broken + too short vac hose is supposed to travel up to the IMTV Solenoid.

I believe that vac hose diameter is available at your local car part store and can be purchased by the inch or foot.

A broken IMRC system sets a DTC code. A broken IMTV system does not set a DTC code.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a loop on it. Here is a wider pic. Not sure if it should route somewhere else.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot. It's a 2004 zts. I put another thread. These are the codes.
P2004
P0420
P0171

·
Registered
18,198 Posts
The 2004 is because you are missing the runner control there at the rigged hoses.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,112 Posts
Agreed. You'll have less low end power and less MPG without it in place. You might want to buy a used one on Ebay if you can't get it new from Ford anymore.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I put a loop on it. Here is a wider pic. Not sure if it should route somewhere else.

Your IMRC vacuum solenoids are BROKEN where I have circled in RED:
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

The solenoids should have TWO hose fittings on the end - yours each have one fitting broken off (the ones that face forward). This is what the solenoids should look like:

Install new solenoids and connect the side facing ports to the existing hoses as current. Cut your 'loop' hose in half and connect the ends to the forward facing ports on the new solenoids. This should solve your P2004.

When you are all done your system should look like this (Thanks Marde):
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Auto part

Your welcome
Paul

·
Registered
Ford Focus SE Sport 2003
415 Posts
Your IMRC vacuum solenoids are BROKEN where I have circled in RED:
View attachment 310858

The solenoids should have TWO hose fittings on the end - yours each have one fitting broken off (the ones that face forward). This is what the solenoids should look like:
View attachment 310860

Install new solenoids and connect the side facing ports to the existing hoses as current. Cut your 'loop' hose in half and connect the ends to the forward facing ports on the new solenoids. This should solve your P2004.

When you are all done your system should look like this (Thanks Marde):
View attachment 310861

Your welcome
Paul
Ahhhh. Finally clarity!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts