Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this question for days now and I can only come up with one answer. I need more input for others to get a general idea of how to approach my problem.

Since I am going to be turboing my ST, I have come upon the question of how do I get a vacuum source for my Intake Manifold Runners? I can't remember if my car has the old vacuum brake booster, or if it uses the cobra style hydra-boost system. I believe that the 2.3L are the only ones with the Manifold Runner throttle valves? Not sure if the 2.0L Duratec has them?

My plan is to tap into the compressor suction piping around 3"-4" away from the turbo and try to see if that would make a good source of vacuum. Any suggestions or input on this problem would be great!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Save yourself alot of trouble and just T into any vacuum line on the manifold.... that way you will have the most accurate reading that you can have.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
^^^x2^^^

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what I am talking about is when I am under boost so will my intake manifold. My IMR rely on a vacuum to open them when a solenoid opens. So if there is pressure instead of a vacuum then how will this work if I tap into the manifold that has pressure???

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The most accurate boost/Vac readings are taken from the intake manifold, if you take them at the turbo housing then you are not taking into effect the pressure drop thats going to occure between the turbo and the manifold (due to your piping, intercooler, each bend in the pipe, ect)

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If your talking about a runner controller like the SVT has its operated by throttle position and RPM... and has a little motor that will do all the work.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am talking about the runner controls that use vacuum direct from the manifold. I am guessing they wont open with boost. I am sure that they will only open with a vacuum when the solenoid operates.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a picture:
[URL=http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2646052480067099592Zpvuyo][/URL]

The two arrows pointing downwards that are next to each other are for the IMRC I'm guessing... If my car even has it. The other to the right pointing upwards os for my Vacuum Brake Booster. How am I going to over come the problem of these parts needing a vacuum source to work and my intake manifold being under boost?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
They work opposite what you think. The more vac the more closed they are.
So at idle they are mostly closed, more throttle the less vac there is the more they open.

For a short answer, there's no part that relies on vac that needs modified in any way.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok... well I am sure that the brake booster rely's on a vacuum for assistance. how are your brakes doing sporadic? did you happen to noticed if you have the same solenoids in the picture I posted? If your car is fine then I will feel better

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Actually I don't have the same solenoids as in your picture, but my intake manifold does have the tumble flaps like yours.
My brakes are great. Actually better than stock after a good bleeding when I changed my clutch.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting? I wonder how my car will react to the change?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The brake booster has a one way check valve, that way you always have enough vacuum to stop.

So braking is uneffected by boost.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
great info!! thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts