Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering are the v8 kits for the first gen foci's still being made or is there anyone selling their kit.. I am interested in buying a kit.. I would like Modular motor kit as I would like to use the new 5liter..

·
Super Moderator
9,527 Posts
Moved to "Engine & Transmission Swap". Here is one company that makes kits for the MK1 Focus. >>Click here<< That was just done with a quick search of Google. There have been some people that built their own. I know disciplerocks on here fabricated his own kit. Just search his name in the advanced search on here and look for his V8 build thread.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay thanks.. thought kugel komponents stopped selling kits, I will look up the rest.. who has the best kit out for the focus.. I like kugel komponents kits but is there someone who makes them handle like fox mustang with maximum motorsports parts inside..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can anyone with v8 converted foci that lives in cali.. let me know how they were able to reg and smog the car.. Im looking at picking up 03 svt and converting but don't know how the smog part is going to work.. thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Engine swaps must include an engine the same year or newer than the car its going in and must include all related emissions equipment. It will be a long uphill battle and cost a lot of money too. But it can be done.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay well Im getting stuff together to swap in new coyote motor into an 03-04 svt hatchback.. I will be picking up motor from ford racing and using the control pack to make it run.. what are some of the stuff that's going to hold me back from smog and reg. car.. I know I will need cats for the exhaust ..

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
From BlueBronco's comment, I'd think one of the largest concerns would be running it with a street legal ECU that checks/reports on emission functions. A stand alone off road ECU wouldn't cut it.

That means that beyond CATs you'd need to think of the EVAP Emissions system/sensors to work with it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
that beast has to be pretty interesting to drive!
Actually I think this one would really be the Beast! These guys transplanted the entire drivetrain from an 03 Mustang SVT Cobra! [wrenchin]

·
Registered
167 Posts
I remember reading awhile about a company that does a v8 conversion in a focus and it costing nearly $20k for a car that wasn't even $20k when it was new. It's a cool idea but it seemed like a really bad investment.

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
can anyone with v8 converted foci that lives in cali.. let me know how they were able to reg and smog the car.. Im looking at picking up 03 svt and converting but don't know how the smog part is going to work.. thanks
okay well Im getting stuff together to swap in new coyote motor into an 03-04 svt hatchback.. I will be picking up motor from ford racing and using the control pack to make it run.. what are some of the stuff that's going to hold me back from smog and reg. car.. I know I will need cats for the exhaust ..
i know of one turbo V8 focus in CA , IDK what he does for smog but besides the turbo all the other parts were from a 01 cobra

im not sure how putting a new crate motor in a focus in CA will work
as someone said you need a motor from a car newer then the focus and all parts that went with it emissions wise for it to be possible to BAR
might be better off finding a mustang parts car

·
Registered
325 Posts
You will have to get the car refereed. They will be looking for all the emissions equipment that came factory with the engine. I would select a car that the engine might have come from (i.e. Mustang) and try to replicate that as best you can. Even the airbox should be factory as CA law says you can't make modifications to anything unless it is CARB approved.
It really comes down to the referee. They can be generous or difficult at their discretion.
If you fail they will tell you why, and you can make appropriate changes. You may come back and get different feedback though. I would start by contacting the local referee and talk to them about your plans and their expectations.

·
Registered
620 Posts
CARB, Referees, SMOG checks. I think I would just get the hell out of such a place. Time to move!

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
sorry dude. what you have there sounds like a great idea. i would love to see a coyote in a mk1 but i highly doubt you will pull it off unless you have lots of time, lots of money, and lots of know how. it will be next to impossible to pull off in california where people regularly struggle to get a car inspected if they have a cold air intake. move to another state and swap in a carbureted v8 for the sake of simplicity or build and turbo charge the engine you have. otherwise if you are stuck in cali your best bet is simply to get rid of the focus and find a ride that suits you better. for the kind of money you are looking at tying up in the focus to make it a cali legal coyote v8 focus you could probably find and buy a pair of 03/04 cobra mustangs.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
^ Bingo, not gonna happen in Cali bro. Not worth it unless you know someone that will botch your smog tests... Illegal but the only way its gonna work.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bah it can be done, just takes extra effort.
But to the point is, is it really that important to you? There are easier options for big power and low weight.

·
I Like Red
3,245 Posts
Can it be done? Yes. Worth the effort and money its gonna cost to be CARB legal? Not really... Thats for you to decide.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Actually, it can be done in Cali -

There is a classification of registration for show-cars that has some pretty strict regulations, but for a project like this, it might be worth looking into.

I've also been told that there are some regs that do tolerate engine swaps so long as the factory smog equipment remains functional.

That being said...

I've seen a couple v8 swaps in foci, and both had the same problems:

1. they are very VERY nose-heavy. It completely destroy's the handling characteristics of the car.

2. They weren't that fast. Because they are so nose-heavy, the rear tires dont make that much traction, meaning you get alot of wheelspin and not alot of go. The guys I know said that they couldnt get a 0-60 under 6 seconds, which is something that a basic turbo kit could eaisly achieve.

3. its extremely expensive. As others have mentioned, you are going to spend easily 20-30k on a proper build. A decent turbo setup with supporting mods will cost you 8-10k, and you will have a much faster car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts