Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
That car was on that gay a** (except for Dalene Curtis and the Focus spots) Super Tuner TV this past weekend(on Spike). The Ford Racing guy said it ran low 12s on the little 17" street tires it had with the 345hp 302 Ford Racing crate motor. Imagine what the new Cobra motor with some bolt ons would do? Or how about a 351 or a more radical 302 (I'll take the Cobra motor). Can you say 9 second street car? (They run 9.30's-9.80s with 3800lb '03 Cobras, a Screwcharger replacement, or a stock Eaton with more boost than most guys need to run on the Screw, and bolt ons! I know for a fact that a STOCK '03 Cobra motor in a Mustang like mine (87 Notch) ran mid-low nines (3000 lbs)!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
those were some cool looking cars there.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
i condem any transplant of any engine int othe Focus. the Focus is a 4 banger nothing else once u take the Zetec out it's not a Focus anymore i don't care what the badging says. In case u would ask no i would not put a v8 in my Focus if i want a V8 car i'll buy a car that comes with one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
LOL, whatever floats your boat. What about a 2.3 RWD transplant, would it still be a focus then?

·
Registered
357 Posts
hey Solaris, so i guess the 2.3 duratec and the SPI aren't real Foci either in your assumption since they don't have a Zetec huh[rolleyes] [rolleyes]

guess that any modded Focus isn't a real Focus since none of the mods are stock[???:)]

so why are you on an enthusiast board btw, since not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. and the only common ground here is that we all like Foci

l8r, John[cool]

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
ZX3matt, so what you are saying is that a stock 390 hp engine will propel a mustang into the low 9's. I am calling BS.

Look at the latest MM&FF, fastest 03' cobra with 800 whp ran a 9.59 @ 144 mph.

Also for your info MM&FF has a project car which is a fully race prepped mustang with a lightning motor making 395 whp and it goes 10's as of now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here is an other one what I saw at the SEMA show in LA this April.

http://pak01.pictures.aol.com/NASAp...69m/jFCnkV3ciA==&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails

As for myself, I would love to have something like this in my Focus. Think about it, mostly stock-looking Focus and a V8 roar [}:)]

edit: zx3matt, I just noticed your numbers. Man, you are way off. Just think about it, a stock Lambo Diablo runs in the 12s if I remember right. So check your facts before putting them in the forum.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
railman said:
hey Solaris, so i guess the 2.3 duratec and the SPI aren't real Foci either in your assumption since they don't have a Zetec huh[rolleyes] [rolleyes]

guess that any modded Focus isn't a real Focus since none of the mods are stock[???:)]

so why are you on an enthusiast board btw, since not everyone has the same likes and dislikes. and the only common ground here is that we all like Foci

l8r, John[cool]
thats not be a smart ass if Ford puts it in there then yes it's a focus. What the **** is that "...why be on this board..." why are u on this board if u don't share the same likes as me? I was stating my opinion just because i don't agree with somethign doesn't mean i don't like modding Foci. I Put all the money i made over the summer into my car and thats the first thing i've done in my life that i planned for set a goal and followed through with it all. It's nto easy for a 16 year old to make and spend over 1k on his car while paying $300 a month on payments.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
focaltech said:
ZX3matt, so what you are saying is that a stock 390 hp engine will propel a mustang into the low 9's. I am calling BS.

Also for your info MM&FF has a project car which is a fully race prepped mustang with a lightning motor making 395 whp and it goes 10's as of now.
The do not make 390hp stock! Most rear wheel at 370hp (425 flywheel). Plus, you add the headers and exhaust need for the transplant into the fox bady 'Stang as well as the computer work and a take-off lightning blower pulley (all else stock) and you have an engine putting out well over 450+rwhp (517+ flywheel). With slicks and 4.56 gears this car ran low 9s. It was in a MM&FF magazine modular mustang shoot-out. The car probably weighed between 2800-3000 lbs.

Also, that Lightning engined car has been held back by tranny and rear gearing problems. That car that ran a 9.59 weighed over 3800 lbs and now runs 9.30s.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
bluebisz said:
Here is an other one what I saw at the SEMA show in LA this April.

http://pak01.pictures.aol.com/NASAp...69m/jFCnkV3ciA==&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails

As for myself, I would love to have something like this in my Focus. Think about it, mostly stock-looking Focus and a V8 roar [}:)]

edit: zx3matt, I just noticed your numbers. Man, you are way off. Just think about it, a stock Lambo Diablo runs in the 12s if I remember right. So check your facts before putting them in the forum.
Maybe you guys should check yours. It was in a back issue of MM&FF. The car was tuned by Lido Icabeddi (sorry didn't spell his name right. The motor was stock except for the exhaust, and blower pulley. It had FAST injection, and was in an 89 notchback 'Stang with a C-4 tranny and 4.30 gears (could have been 4.56, but I think they were 4.30s). You guys may think I'm wrong, but this is not out of line. I have seen fox body mustangs run in the 9s with nothing more that a 460 FRPP crate motor for an engine (the old 535hp job, not the 514cid motor), and they wer probably putting out about the same rwhp as the Cobra engine in that stang. 1000lbs makes a big difference. Hell MM&FF ran 11s with a little less than 440 rwhp on a stock weight 03 cobra: 3800+lbs.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
These motors are really stout. Don't underestimate what their torque can do. Have you ever seen a 4500lb Lightning run 10s in the quarter? I have. Have you seen a 9sec independent rear 03 Cobra? I have. I was also there when JR Gantanelli (of Paxton fame) ran 7.30s with a Pro 5.0 car powered by a single turbo 5.4 Navigator engine. (stock heads, gaskets, and cams. I talked to him about it. It was sponsered by Summit racing). This was a couple of years ago. This was when pushrod 5.0s had to weigh 3000lbs in NMRA trim. Grantanelli's modular powered car was over 2500lbs (he could go as low as 2500).

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
What is this forum about anyway?

focaltech said:

I would like to let you guys know that no matter what you might think, I am correct about this. You would realize it if you just thought about it. One of you said above that MM&FF is running a Fox Mustang with a Lightning motor and with 395rwhp it ran 10s (if I am not mistaken, it ran 10.20 a couple of times, and averaged 10.50s). From seeing plenty of dyno runs with Lightnings, and knowing how this engine was modified, a Lightning with the same mods would be making 440+hp at the wheels with a drivetrain that has way more parasitic loss than the light C-4 in this Mustang (23% v. 18-20%). The magazine guys (in the last issue they delt with this car) even admitted that their calibration was off, their converter was bad, and their gearing was way too low for this low-rpm engine. They were bumping the rev-limiter before crossing the lights, and their old Southside liftbars were shocking and unloading the suspension after launch. So, this mild combination, with a pathetic, for this engine, rwhp number was consistently running 10s and you think that the lighter (the Lightning engine was so heavy that two guys could pick up the rear of the car with ease!0, freer revving, Cobra powered Fox Mustang could not run in the 9s? Remember this guy had a professional tune his combination. They used a FAST injection system to simplify wiring (though for this mild combo a properly tuned EECV would be just as good), Longtube headers with exhaust, and a used lightning blower pulley for more boost. Everything else was stock, and the engine mods were what most might do to a new Cobra after they buy it. Now both of these motors are really about the same HP if you were to engine dyno them with the Lightning leaning more toward torque, and the Cobra more towards HP. This guy’s excellently tuned combo would be over 450hp at the wheels, and more than likely 500hp at the wheels (not out of line for these engines). His chassis had a newer suspension set-up, lighter weight (because of the Cobra engine, though still around 3000lbs), an optimized converter (I think he might have been using the computer controlled overdrive automatic, could have been a C-4 though, I’ll have to try to find that issue of MM&FF), plus his gearing could be handled by the higher-revving Cobra engine. This car runs consistently in the 9s. Why do you think that is not possible knowing what I just told you about the Lightning combo (which you can read about in MM&FF yourself)?

We are on this forum to have fun, make friends and talk about our Foci. I made that first comment to get what I thought were Focus and Ford fans all excited about a V-8 Focus, but some of you guys just want to get on here and trash talk people. Go to another forum to do that. Let us have fun on this one. Before you tell someone they are full of BS, think about what you say first. If you would have read that Lightning powered Mustang article, you would have agreed with me, but you jumped at the chance to bash me. That is sad. I have been around this stuff for a while, and I would not have said something out of line if I was not sure it could be true. I don’t want to argue anymore, and I will not. Just try to make friends on here, not enemies.

·
fOCUS Zetec 2.0
292 Posts
[duh] let's be cool about it, i hate the way people start at 9 and hit 10 rather than starting at 0 and taking a lot to work all the way to 10... just chill guys and gals, go take a drive. We're on a forum, we're all bound to make mistakes, even the mods make mistakes and say things some people don't agree with. We're all just human, luckily we're the better ones who bought Foci.

Amen from brother Matt [driving]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts