Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen Turbo Turtle's setup with the bigger radiator and all, but I was wondering if there was a way to keep with the stock radiator.

My thought process on this was what if I could upgrade the fans to something with a higher CFM? (what is stock CFM?) I will be using something like this to control when the fans come on: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31147/

I also need to find a transmission cooler as I'll be using an auto 700R4.

As far as coolant...... unless there's a better way I was just going to go a gallon of coolant and as much of a gallon of water as I could fit in the system.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW keep note that I'm pretty much asking how I can maximize the cooling potential of the stock radiator... if you guys are thinking it wouldn't apply to a normal focus.

any different vehicle radiators you guys have used?

any aftermarket fans that would flow more air than the stock system?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I really doubt it will work very well if at all. You are adding twice as many cylinders (each with it's own cylinder wall exposed to the coolant) and probably at least twice the displacement. Many a hotrodder has gone before you and had to upsize. You may want to look into getting more rows added to a stock width and height rediator. It'll be closer to fitting (may need to work on brackets for wider tanks on either end) in the stock location.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if there's any kind of auxilary cooler I could use... like an intercooler but for coolant.

guess it doesn't matter but I thought id try. I don't have an issue with making a new bracket... just want to use the stock one.

my bosses jeep needed a new radiator for his swap.

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I would run the same.size rad that the krugel component guys were running. 1 question would u see a camaro or nova run a focus radiator? Bigger is better on a v8. My 351w is running a 4core rad,eldelbrock high flow aluminum water pump and a flexilite electric fan w/built in shroud. 180 or lower temps all day long with this setup.

·
Registered
642 Posts
not sure if your still interested but I know a lot of big trucks and other swaps that end up needing more cooling than normal go to the junk yard and get the duel electric fans off of a taurus. serious airflow and if there is no room on the backside of the radiator then ive seen it mounted ( not on a focus) in front of the radiatior to push the air through.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
taurus fans huh?

See I was thinking just push a bunch of air through the stocker...... or pull. whatever. it would make it cooler, no?

·
Registered
642 Posts
it would be better. question is would it be good enough?

the Taurus has some rediculously efficient fans allowing them to be super slim

google it and look around. I am sure its been referenced before.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I believe it is something around 4000-4500CFM at high speed and you could get one from a junk yard for $75ish.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that sounds like a good flow. wonder what the focus is. The junkyard I go to can get me a dual fan thing for $20

·
Registered
642 Posts
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-480742.html

they reference a Lincoln Mark VIII thats fans are a couple hundred more CFM but harder to find.

there is a three wire and 2 wire taurus fan. just read up and do some research.

alot of 4X4 guys know their stuff about cooling because they do not have the natural air flow to help them out because they idling a lot more than a tradition DD or other car

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will look into that as well......thanks for the link.

found taurus radiators are the same size (just a bit bigger by fractions of an inch) but I wonder how they are. haven't look that well yet

·
Registered
716 Posts
I know when I had my s10 alot of guys would put the Taurus fans on them. I think they pull over 20 amps though so you might keep that in mind.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
well just a little info the stock fans flow plenty of air. rig them up to have both run wide open and they will flow plenty of air. if that doesnt keep it cool you need a bigger rad not a better fan. the focus fans flow close to what the taurus fans does. they will not be a prob. the fact that the rad is only 1" thick and only holds like 1 gal of water will be the prob, my rad only cost about 150 and holds 3 gal. if you going through all the trouble of doing a v8 swap just put a good rad on it

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found some taurus radiators are 2. something inches thick and fractions of an inch bigger than the focus. I may try for one of those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts