Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm also highly interested in the 2.5l V6 Duratec swap. Do the mounts have to be fabricated? Things like the battery, reservoirs, and fuse boxes I plan to move to the hatch area. That should give some ample extra space. Have you done a RWD setup on any of your projects, if so what drive shaft did you end up using? If I decided to do the swap would you (v6Focus) answer any of my questions? Do you have anykind of "guide"?

·
Registered
299 Posts
yo u guyz rock for being just that more different then everyone else and you have great points too!

·
Registered
470 Posts
After looking around for a bit on possible engine options I've come to the conclusion that the first gen SHO 3.0L (and subsequent 3.2L) is cheap to obtain and would be the most practical due to the cost of the donor car. You can get the car for ~$2000 in good condition. 220bhp 200tq are great baseline numbers from this engine (especially considering it's age). Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
http://modifiedfocus.com/

v6 i am really considering taking you up on the v6 swap offer(and you end up with an spi) if i can come up with the $4500 there is a slim chance of me getting that amount. Else I will just have to go turbo

·
Registered
894 Posts
JCE_05-ZX5 said:
After looking around for a bit on possible engine options I've come to the conclusion that the first gen SHO 3.0L (and subsequent 3.2L) is cheap to obtain and would be the most practical due to the cost of the donor car. You can get the car for ~$2000 in good condition. 220bhp 200tq are great baseline numbers from this engine (especially considering it's age). Thoughts?
WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is absolutly no similarities between an early SHO(which is a Yamaha) and a late SHO(which is a small v8) and the focus........it would take a large amount of fabrication to make one of there work(listen to me when I say this we have did it), no matter if the drivetrain is cheaper, you will either have a TON of fabing or have to pay someone to fab it for you.........the SHO is not a practical swap, it is much heavier, the late models were not offered in a 5-speed, etc, etc

I'm also highly interested in the 2.5l V6 Duratec swap. Do the mounts have to be fabricated? Things like the battery, reservoirs, and fuse boxes I plan to move to the hatch area. That should give some ample extra space. Have you done a RWD setup on any of your projects, if so what drive shaft did you end up using? If I decided to do the swap would you (v6Focus) answer any of my questions? Do you have anykind of "guide"?

There is no guide and there will never be, it isn't a plug and play(which is the reason I think only a handful have people have done it)........yes, the mounts have to be fabbed, no way around it, no none of the engine bay has to be relocated........there are tons of pics of my car out there........when looking at it it looks stock..........

·
Registered
894 Posts
arrestmespi said:
http://modifiedfocus.com/

v6 i am really considering taking you up on the v6 swap offer(and you end up with an spi) if i can come up with the $4500 there is a slim chance of me getting that amount. Else I will just have to go turbo
I'd take sell it to you, but I would put the SPI where it belongs(in the junk pile)........just kidding

·
Registered
470 Posts
v6focus said:
WRONG>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is absolutly no similarities between an early SHO(which is a Yamaha) and a late SHO(which is a small v8) and the focus........it would take a large amount of fabrication to make one of there work(listen to me when I say this we have did it), no matter if the drivetrain is cheaper, you will either have a TON of fabing or have to pay someone to fab it for you.........the SHO is not a practical swap, it is much heavier, the late models were not offered in a 5-speed, etc, etc

There is no guide and there will never be, it isn't a plug and play(which is the reason I think only a handful have people have done it)........yes, the mounts have to be fabbed, no way around it, no none of the engine bay has to be relocated........there are tons of pics of my car out there........when looking at it it looks stock..........
I think you misunderstood me. The 3.0L and subsequent 3.2L were both the Yamaha V6's--I was not talking about the V8 in any form or fashion. I'm not an idiot, go here if you don't believe me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SHO_V6_engine#3.2. And my question about fabrication was meant in a different way than how you took it. This is my fault, let me clarify. Do *I* have to fabricate the mounts and brakets or I can BUY them from someone else that has already fabricated them. I'm not new to swaps I've done my fair share of them myself--just for foxbody Mustangs, MR2s and Nissans. And a guide would be helpful but not 100% needed...would just be nice to have someone who's done more than one of them have some notes he can give to the public.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can see you've done the homework about the 3.0 SHO engine, but my point was it is a totally different platform, no zetec parts will inter chage with it, the 2.5 at least has a mtx-75 so the axles from a focus will work(with a touch of fabbing), the info that you provideded says that it it shares the bell housing from a 3.0 vulacn(with is a sohc engine in the late model taurus), to make use of the similarities, you would have to use a 3.0 Duratec(a totally different beast from the vulcan).......on top of the difficulties with a 2,5 duratec, the 3.0 adds custom made axles, fully custom subframe, battery reloction, running 2 computers, alot extra weight, etc, etc etc.......that's why I said it's would pay to do the sho swap........there is no companies making anything for a Focus v6 swap and there never will be.......the mounts are the least of your worries, the main conern is the wiring.......there is noway to give any type of diagram or anything(it is over 30 hours of wiring between the engine bay and dash.......take what info is on our site, wiring diagram book for both the year focus you have(each year focus has different wiring, yet another reason for no schematic) and your doner vehicle, and lots of wiring skill and you'll have a v6..........

·
Registered
894 Posts
Also, before us, there was absolutely NO INFO about a v6 swap........I think I have been generous on what I have published, and outside of exact detail how to wire it, a pretty darn detailed one at that.............

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can see you've done the homework about the 3.0 SHO engine, but my point was it is a totally different platform, no zetec parts will inter chage with it, the 2.5 at least has a mtx-75 so the axles from a focus will work(with a touch of fabbing), the info that you provideded says that it it shares the bell housing from a 3.0 vulacn(with is a sohc engine in the late model taurus), to make use of the similarities, you would have to use a 3.0 Duratec(a totally different beast from the vulcan).......on top of the difficulties with a 2,5 duratec, the 3.0 adds custom made axles, fully custom subframe, battery reloction, running 2 computers, alot extra weight, etc, etc etc.......that's why I said it's would pay to do the sho swap........there is no companies making anything for a Focus v6 swap and there never will be.......the mounts are the least of your worries, the main conern is the wiring.......there is noway to give any type of diagram or anything(it is over 30 hours of wiring between the engine bay and dash.......take what info is on our site, wiring diagram book for both the year focus you have(each year focus has different wiring, yet another reason for no schematic) and your doner vehicle, and lots of wiring skill and you'll have a v6..........
why can't you just transfer the subframe with all the components still on it? The drive train and all...

·
Registered
336 Posts
So I found a wrecked cougar with 2.5l V6 and was just thinking of the potential in a swap like this. Not a lot of info out there, but cool to see it's been done before

·
Registered
16,058 Posts
The 2.5s tear up easy as spit, they were OEM in Cougar and Contour, hotdog them and they spit out rods. Many went up to 3.0.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts