Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info about a FWD V6 engine swap into a ZX3?
How easy or hard would it be?
What is the best V6? Cougar, Contour, Taurus etc
Any other required upgrades? brakes, springs etc
Any links to sites of V6 5spd (NOT auto) swaps that have already been done.
All that kind of stuff.

Thanks.
[thumb]

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
One idea i have toyed around with is the last generation SHO, V-8 swap. I have measured out the width and it will fit. Be kind of a neat swap or doing the rear drive conversion and instead of doing a heavy V-8 swap, doing the Turbo Coupe drivetrain and building that up for some real boost.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Yeah, there are a few v8's that WILL fit...

V6focus has a 2.5 duratec v6 in one of his cars and his brother has a v6 SHO motor in his zx3...The duratec is so clean and neat it almost looks factory!! The SHO on the other hand just looks wild!

His sight is focussalvage.com ( he runs a focus only salvage business ). There are links from there to the modification sight I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've send a e-mail to the V6focus guys.
Does anyone have any info about the different v6 5spd FWD (not auto RWD) engines?
Best ones, most stanard power, lightest etc?
Does anything else on the ZX3 need to be upgraded like brakes or shocks etc?

[thumb]

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only larger motor swaps I have seen on these I have seen is V8's. From what I have read herd and learnd it's no small task. The only way to make the car a killer is to go RWD and that involves major modifications. There have been a few for sale on eBay, The last I saw what a yellow one with a 427 in it. Im sure a V6 transaxel will work, but why go through all that trouble and $$ to get a few more HP, when you can spend the same $$ and get the same or more HP out of your current motor.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
it would be so much work to turn a v6 sideways in that small engine compartment. the only thing ive thought about doing was a 3.8 mustang motor with their 7.5 inch rear end. it doesnt make the best power, but it can. lots of tuning available. why would you wanna keep it fwd if you were putting that much power in it. seems dumb.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want a V6 because the V8's are all rear wheel drive I even though I have a Mustang I HATE RWD car's, well not the car's as such, I just dont like RWD. I will take FWD, 4WD/AWD everytime.
I am under the impression that converting a FWD ZX3 to a FWD V6 would be a lot less hassle than making it a RWD V6 or V8 & I hate automatics, they are for old or disabled people.

So again, any info on making a ZX3 into a v6, FWD, stick shift (ONLY) would be welcome.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Its a shame you didn't make it to Carlisle, both of the v6's I described were there...There is a v8 SHO motor as well as a Lincoln with a front drive V8, but the contour swaps are the easiest as the tranny is the same.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm selling my 2.5 v6 swap for $4500.00 plus your drivetrain and we will install it........

To sum it up quickly:
complete 2.5 drivetrain
modified mounts and axles
and a hell of alot of wiring..........

Currently have SVT suspension and svt brakes on my car.......suspension upgrades are helpful, but not neccesary..........

We have done an SHO swap, but have decided it will be the only one, there is just too much labor involved.........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The labor involed on the swap, Is it something you think could be done at home or would it need to be a pro job?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Is there any difference in the fitting of a V6 Contour, Cougar or Taurus? mounting etc [???:)]
Also
Say I get one of the above engines & use a stick shift setup, do I use the ZX3 box or the box from the donor car? Do you know how easy the box is to fit to a ZX3? [???:)]

I would like some more info on the V6 & gearbox fitting & which of the 3 engines above are the best (ease of fitting & best power).
Thanks for the help guys. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
its not about just having more power. its about just doing it, going down the street and having people ask whats in that focus. its about being different. its the satisfaction that you did it. thats like when customized car that cost 100,000 dollars in parts and labor but a $20,000 could spank it, does it matter NO, why because its different, that why we do what we do to leave the stock in the dust and stand out in our own way

·
Registered
894 Posts
You would have to use a 2.5 maunal transmission no matter what and it will bolt up to all three of those engines(as long as the taurus is a 3.0 Duratec).........

I'm not saying it's not possible, but there is a reason there is only three of these cars in exsistance.......

The main reason we I wanted to do a V6 swap is because we are swap freaks(love to be different).........there was tons of awsome stuff at Carlisle this year, but the only thing that really gave me a woody was the 500 that had a Ford GT Drivetrain wedged in the back seat......absolutely the coolest thing I saw up there.........that's also why we did the SHO swap, love being different...........anyone can bolt aftermarket parts on an engine, but less than a handfull can wedge a V6 in one..........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree fully with both of the last 2 posts.
I dont want to do it for the power, if i did I would go for a supercharger, turbo or nitros. More power is always good but not the ultimate goal in this case.
Do you know where I can get a list of what would be needed off of the doner car? & any info about the 3 engines?

·
Registered
894 Posts
To be honest you would need a nice chunck of parts...........really depends on your donar vehicle, the optimal car would be a 02 cougar, you will have all the part you will need........next ideal would be a contour SVT, then worst would be the 3.0(only thing you would have would be your engine).........

1 - 20 of 33 Posts