Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well i have enjoyed these coilovers i did use the pillowball camber plates from my past coilovers from dgr that i paid 1600 for. The ride is much more forgiving than many other systems i have ridin on. So far the kw, ksports, hr, and dgr. Those are a much stiffer suspension system but you will not get the low you are looking for if you get those without aftermarket springs made custom for your car. My coils i have with the dgr suspension is designed for autox so they are super stiff and very unforgiving on any surface. Also sits at stock ride hieght with adjustable dampening.

I have not had a single issue with the vmaxx coilovers so far :) install was straight forward but i have done this before :) everything preloaded to spec. No noises, ride quality is stiff but still forgiving :)

I enjoy the low and the only way to go lower is bags imo for our cars if not a lip kit.

Also its all in the eye of the beholder. Some coilovers may not fit your needs but you like the low as these one's do. Others may not have the low but handle much better. Its a pic your poison scenario pretty much. But thats what i think :)

Im at 23.5 inches in the front and rear on the tarmacs and around 22.5-23 on my stockies.

Dgr suspension coilovers

Ksport vs vmaxx

Vmaxx on stockies

Vmaxx on tarmacs

My custom springs vs the vmaxx

How unforgiving a stiff suspension is sometimes but worth the handling

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
Well i have enjoyed these coilovers i did use the pillowball camber plates from my past coilovers from dgr that i paid 1600 for. The ride is much more forgiving than many other systems i have ridin on. So far the kw, ksports, hr, and dgr. Those are a much stiffer suspension system but you will not get the low you are looking for if you get those without aftermarket springs made custom for your car. My coils i have with the dgr suspension is designed for autox so they are super stiff and very unforgiving on any surface. Also sits at stock ride hieght with adjustable dampening.

I have not had a single issue with the vmaxx coilovers so far :) install was straight forward but i have done this before :) everything preloaded to spec. No noises, ride quality is stiff but still forgiving :)

I enjoy the low and the only way to go lower is bags imo for our cars if not a lip kit.

Also its all in the eye of the beholder. Some coilovers may not fit your needs but you like the low as these one's do. Others may not have the low but handle much better. Its a pic your poison scenario pretty much. But thats what i think :)

Im at 23.5 inches in the front and rear on the tarmacs and around 22.5-23 on my stockies.
That makes you CONSIDERABLY lower than anyone else with these coils. Did you also remove the helper springs and the locking collar?

We have the same size wheels and offset and you have taller tires. You're 1" lower (or more) at every corner. How did you get the front that low?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That makes you CONSIDERABLY lower than anyone else with these coils. Did you also remove the helper springs and the locking collar?

We have the same size wheels and offset and you have taller tires. You're 1" lower (or more) at every corner. How did you get the front that low?
I used a camber plate in the front but it shouldnt have made a difference. I did remove the helper spring and did not remove the locking ring but may consider it now.

But i preloaded my whole suspension one wheel at a time so my suspension could handle the low without stressing it out and it gave it a little more low [woot]

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts

His pillowbars probably help

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts
I used a camber plate in the front but it shouldnt have made a difference. I did remove the helper spring and did not remove the locking ring but may consider it now.

But i preloaded my whole suspension one wheel at a time so my suspension could handle the low without stressing it out and it gave it a little more low [woot]
Lol, so your feedback isn't really that valid because of the extensive tweaking you've had to do to a coilover setup that couldn't provide the results that were advertised.

Bottom line: your numbers are unattainable without pre-loading the suspension and spending more money on new upper mounts.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Lol, so your feedback isn't really that valid because of the extensive tweaking you've had to do to a coilover setup that couldn't provide the results that were advertised.

Bottom line: your numbers are unattainable without pre-loading the suspension and spending more money on new upper mounts.
Your supposed to alway preload your suspension. I dont know why you wouldnt want to preload it. I preload stock suspension parts i install on vehicles everyday because thats what your supposed to do. Especially aftermarket suspension you should. And money i already spent on another coilover set. And honestly anyone can add a camber plate to their coilovers. But the plates are thicker than the stock ones just an fyi. So becuase i build mine right i can not post my numbers? Thats not right imo

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
What brand of sway bar did you end up snapping???

·
Sonic Crew #04
7,513 Posts
So becuase i build mine right i can not post my numbers? Thats not right imo
No, he is saying yours is not the same as the kit out of the box, so the issues he duane and Eman had you might not be seeing, this thread is about feedback on the kit, and while you found the solution to a lot of their issues, the way the kit is advertised and what it actually delivered don't match.

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Your supposed to alway preload your suspension. I dont know why you wouldnt want to preload it. I preload stock suspension parts i install on vehicles everyday because thats what your supposed to do. Especially aftermarket suspension you should. And money i already spent on another coilover set. And honestly anyone can add a camber plate to their coilovers. But the plates are thicker than the stock ones just an fyi. So becuase i build mine right i can not post my numbers? Thats not right imo
You're supposed to preload, but you are supposed to do the whole car at once-not one wheel at a time.

How much would someone be looking at spending on top of the V-Maxx cost for different upper mounts? The question is about installing the coils in conjunction with the OEM parts, because the selling point of the V-Maxx coils is the cost.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
No, he is saying yours is not the same as the kit out of the box, so the issues he duane and Eman had you might not be seeing, this thread is about feedback on the kit, and while you found the solution to a lot of their issues, the way the kit is advertised and what it actually delivered don't match.
I gotcha. That clears it up i was just posting on how i installed mine so it would help out everyone else. Im used to installing these and suspension parts so any questions i can try and answer :)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Steeda because it was hollow, i now have solid whiteline front and rear swaybars
Oh snap! Wait till the Tboner reads this one.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
You're supposed to preload, but you are supposed to do the whole car at once-not one wheel at a time.

How much would someone be looking at spending on top of the V-Maxx cost for different upper mounts? The question is about installing the coils in conjunction with the OEM parts, because the selling point of the V-Maxx coils is the cost.
I would say from what i see k sprt has some camber plates but not totaly sure on the price. Maybe 150 plus

And i was able to do it one at a time because i have a hieght measurement tool

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Lol i typed the wrong thing he got it right with the defective :)
Then why swap over to solid's front to back? If defective wouldn't they have just given you a new one free of cost?

·
That Guy
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I would say from what i see k sprt has some camber plates but not totaly sure on the price. Maybe 150 plus

And i was able to do it one at a time because i have a hieght measurement tool
So now we're at a $640 kit plus maybe $150 plus.

I preloaded my suspension by setting my wheels on blocks. I don't have access to a lift. You preloaded beyond what the rest of us have, and that's why you're so much lower. It's all good. But the original point is still the same, the kit doesn't come remotely near specs. No matter how you preload, you aren't getting the adjustment that is specified.

·
I WILL correct you.
5,328 Posts

All of ^^that. Thank you. We're trying to gather feedback about the "out of the box" V-Maxx coilover setup.

Most people do not pre-load a suspension, and V-Maxx numbers are not advertised as pre-loaded and certainly not advertised as sans helper springs and "find your own upper mount."

There in lies the rub and the inherent issue with this setup. It does not provide what it claims to for the money spent.

I'll be contacting V-Maxx tomorrow morning per their request. [thumb]

21 - 40 of 224 Posts