Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, it came and as you can see I've not yet nailed it down. Probably do that tomorrow or Sunday when the weather is forecast to be sunny with high 50's to 60ish.

Placed the order on 02/18, and it arrived 03/05, securely packed and sent USPS First Class.

My number one and two concerns were (1) would the color match and (2) would the color match ?

The color is spot on. When looking at the pic, take note that the sun is directly on the fin, and not the car's roof. And I can see where you might think that the fin is slightly lighter in color than the car. That is NOT the case.

Will post pix once installed. Big shout out to the guys at VG for one helluva good job.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Extremely easy to install. Unscrew stock antenna and screw shark fin antenna in. Line it up centered to the car and stick it down, it's just a little piece that goes over your stock antenna base so couldn't be easier. 5 minute job.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a Fusion in Ruby Red and I just saw some people that bought from this guy on a Fusion forum... They highly recommend him as well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installing the VG Sharkfin

Squad G requested a "how to", and one or more OP's said "5 minute job".

It was NOT a 5 minute job for me, due to my obsessive compulsive behavior and needing to know that the Sharkfin was properly aligned. I simply could NOT confirm proper alignment with the otherwise complete Instruction Sheet provided by the vendor.

So if you are interested in how I did install it, read on. If you are a 5 minute guy, please move on:

The instructions direct placement of the Sharkfin over the antenna base, visual alignment to confirm centering and adding strips of masking tape to both sides of the Sharkfin and the front for alignment. The instructions say to remove the backing tape and seat the front of the Sharkfin first.

As can be seen in the picture, I aligned on two sides and the rear. The rear guide is the most important as it provided a STRAIGHT LINE from which I could align the unit.

To determine the placement of the STRAIGHT LINE, I measured 4" forward from the hatch opening and 3/4" from each side of the antenna base, used the washable marker to mark the measurements, and then applied the Frog tape as seen in the picture, resulting in accurate guide lines.

Once the guide lines were in place, I used the provided washer and smaller of two screws to attach the Sharkfin to the base with the flat head screw driver. Holding the Sharkfin with one hand, I began peeling back the adhesive backing, and using the small box cutter blade to slit the backing in order to peel the tape so it doesn't catch on the coiled wire which attaches the unit to the antenna base.

With the backing pulled completely away from the rear of the Sharkfin, I lined the rear of the unit with my straight rear line, setting it square against the base, removed the remainder of the backing, and carefully set the unit along the guides and held it into place firmly for about 2 minutes.

Picture 2 shows the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
952 Posts
How's that reception? I rarely, ever, EVVVER use the radio but when I do I want it to be crisp. Any really noticeable degradation? That's been the only thing keeping me off this swap.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tested the reception with the 'fin before and after fastening it down. No deterioration in FM.

AM sounded scratchy to me, even though the "HD" light was on. None of which mattered because I never ever use AM, and the idea of "HD" to AM radio is a farce.

There was no deterioration in Sirius, but I think the Sirius antenna is somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I need to amend the comments I said yesterday regarding AM reception with the VG Sharkfin.

Driving the car today I was able to better assess the AM (and FM) reception. I found that both signals were free of distortion and static.

So once again, hats off to the guys at VG.l

1 - 13 of 13 Posts