Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my buddy want to know how a 2012 focus Manual compares to a golf or gti in terms of driving experience, not performance. The Focus out here in the states has never really been taken serious because it didn't quite stack up to the euro version until this year. We know the euros love the focus and the golfs/gti but how do they compare in fun factor? He's gonna be in the market for a new ride in a few months and he's always had a soft spot for the vdubs cause they're tried and true and great "drivers" cars, but he also likes what Ford has done with this focus

So who here has zipped around town in a golf or gti and now is rockin a focus? How's the focus compare to them in fun factor? Straight fun factor and nothing else, not price or reputation or anything. And yes obviously we know the gti has more hp to it

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Edgar, after drive testing a VW Golf TDi and owning now a Ford Focus, I may say they are both fun to drive.
The DSG on VW TDi is a great trany and I loved it the from the first touch. You don't have to wait to break in this trany. The years of experience do count ! It is flawless from the first step on the gas pedal. But, I may say that the DCT of Focus is not that bad. In fact, it is great once you get used to it. And the break in period passed, of course.
IF VW would not have had the "after sale" problems in NA (North America) - dealers without any knowledge about the car and so on - I would have gone for a Golf. IT was this the only thing that stopped me buying it.
Ford Focus is a great car and I love it for the options it has and for the great handling, class it has...

P.S. The VW Golf gaser has no DSG, only the GTI does.
P.P.S. I now saw you are looking for M trany. I, for myself, I'd go for a DSG. And yes, I drove all my life manuals only (comming from Europe where all the cars are 99% manuals).

·
Registered
260 Posts
I drove a 2011 Golf TDi with a manual transmission just this last weekend. The engine is fantastic, I'd give anything to have it in my Focus.

But the interior quality, ammenities, ride, NVH levels and general refinement were all lagging behind the Focus. (Not to mention if comperably equipped, a TDi Golf is ~$3000-$5000 more than a Focus)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
VW definitely decontented their cars this generation. I've noticed that both the Jetta and Golf are not as well equipped standard as they used to be. All those options, like those on the Focus, add up VERY quickly.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
One more thing to add. The VW Golf has a 6M while the Focus is a 5M. I'd go for a 6M in this case. And if it is a VW, I would go for a diesel not a gaser.

The new GTI is great and fun car to drive, but I would go for a DSG in this case.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does diesel make a difference in performance or just mpg?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Does diesel make a difference in performance or just mpg?
Lets say you have a 230 ft-lb torque and this DOES help a lot ! (and a 140 HP which is average for this class)

·
Registered
290 Posts
a little bit in performance, but they're not exactly rev-happy (even in this day and age) so the torque advantage is offset some
Hey, aren't you guys forgetting the abysmal electrical reliability evident in VW products. It's even as simple as tail-lamp or headlamp failures. Here on the West Coast, almost for sure, most of the cars you see with headlamps out or tail lamps out -- are VW products. I swear to God that this is true. And it is not just a simple over-voltage issue. There is some kind of electronic module that is a known issue on these cars, related to burnt out lighting.

Also, how many VW's do you know of that haven't had at least one window regulator (i.e. Power Window mechanisms) replaced -- at $500 -- in the first 5 years of ownership.

To be sure, VW's drive 'real well -- but they are at the bottom of the heap (possibly with Mercedes) for electrical reliability!

And as to the DSG... yes, great dual clutch tranny.... but who will pay the bill to fix one? $7000?????

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Eurofordfan, are you talking about MKVI VW ? Because I am not aware of any electrical problems with them. There is a problem though (in US mostly - and less than 1% of the owners) but with the HPFP failure due to diesel quality and not DSG. And yes, if you are a "happy winner" in this 1%, you might end up paying (after the guaranty period) something arround 7k $.

The question was about how the two cars perform when driven. And lets be frank, VW is better than Focus, even though Focus is not that far behind.

I was debating long time if I would go for a VW or a Focus and I ended up with a Focus only because of the VW poor service after sale. And the MFT and rear camera the Focus had. The nearest good VW shop service was about 100 km from home, too. So... I chose Focus - I have 3 Ford dealers within a 10 km radius area from home. And I know them all because of my last car "experiences". At the end, it was an easy choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey, aren't you guys forgetting the abysmal electrical reliability evident in VW products. It's even as simple as tail-lamp or headlamp failures. Here on the West Coast, almost for sure, most of the cars you see with headlamps out or tail lamps out -- are VW products. I swear to God that this is true. And it is not just a simple over-voltage issue. There is some kind of electronic module that is a known issue on these cars, related to burnt out lighting.

Also, how many VW's do you know of that haven't had at least one window regulator (i.e. Power Window mechanisms) replaced -- at $500 -- in the first 5 years of ownership.

To be sure, VW's drive 'real well -- but they are at the bottom of the heap (possibly with Mercedes) for electrical reliability!

And as to the DSG... yes, great dual clutch tranny.... but who will pay the bill to fix one? $7000?????
MKVIs are supposed to be better reliability wise but they did de-content them pretty severely. DSG's reliability is still unknown, but looking good. The problem with them is the exorbitant fluid change costs but that is supposed to come down in the near future as other companies begin making the transmission fluid.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd never own a VW because of the issues I've had with them in the past. They're fun to drive and have a great feel. But if you've ever had to repair one you'd know what level of hell they come from. That's a big pass for me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Last I checked VW doesn't offer the manual tranny for the 5-cylinder 5-door, only the 3-door (or the TDI/GTI).

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
while, as some have posted here, vw's have their quality issues the question was asked about the DSGs on both the VW n focus vis a vis driving experience. My 2 cents is this:
last summer i put on about 3K clicks of driving on a VW TSi in europe. Having already had my new focus i was able to compare the two cars better.
IMO, the VW has it all over the focus in driving fun mostly cuz the transmission in the VW works well...(i know ford is coming out w/ software improvements to the ford DSG but i haven't had that done yet so can't compare) The VW DSG was buttery smooth, no driver adjustments needed.. the transmission was there when needed in all driving conditions, unlike my focus. just my observations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife and I test drove both the Golf TDI and Focus. Before we started she was adamant that she "was not going to buy a Ford". After the test drive she could not believe how well the Ford handled. The only reason she could give for preferring the Golf was that she preferred the look, I did too but that is low on my priority list. I was surprised that someone who I know can be so stubborn was swayed in one day...she was so mad that she liked the Focus, ha ha!
We ended up with the Focus. I told her that it was really a dead heat for me...but the price difference made the decision. $21750 for an SEL with MFT/Sony and winter vs. $27500 for the Golf TDI. 1 week into it and we are happy with our decision...so far.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
I have always said that there is no car in the same class/price point that can compare to the Focus when it comes to handling. Having driven a number of VW's over the years, and a recent test drive in a '12 Focus SEL(w/ a butter-smooth DSG, mind You) confirms that little has changed in that respect.

Seriously though, Our butt dynos will tell You nothing about how You friend is going to enjoy either one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife and I test drove both the Golf TDI and Focus. Before we started she was adamant that she "was not going to buy a Ford". After the test drive she could not believe how well the Ford handled. The only reason she could give for preferring the Golf was that she preferred the look, I did too but that is low on my priority list. I was surprised that someone who I know can be so stubborn was swayed in one day...she was so mad that she liked the Focus, ha ha!
We ended up with the Focus. I told her that it was really a dead heat for me...but the price difference made the decision. $21750 for an SEL with MFT/Sony and winter vs. $27500 for the Golf TDI. 1 week into it and we are happy with our decision...so far.
Great story also proof of how far the FOCUS has come!
Although the wife it's dead set against it, I'm expecting a similar experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im a VW Owner and enthusiast. I currently own a 5th Generation Turbo Jetta (aka MK5, 2006 MY) since new and a 1992 Corrado VR6 (7+ years). Been around the VW scene even more than that.

These cars are well built, but still far from perfect, just like most cars. Electrical bugs arent an issue on these newer cars, my 2006 Jetta has none...hell, even my 92 Corrado has none (sunroof/mirrors/windows/lights/speed senstitive spoiler all work) and these in fact werent that reliable in this aspect.

Maintenance isnt that bad either. Synthetic Oil changes are to me the biggest expense, and it aint really an issue...around $48 for filter and oil, and for me its a DIY job every 5k to 8k intervals (depends on my available free time lol). Fortunetly, my car is 6 speed manual, not DSG, so i can avoid the $180 in the oil change kit every 40k miles.

So, with all these aspects all sorted out, i can tell you guys im really impresed with the MK3 Ford Focus. Not in my wildest dreams i would ever imagined picking up a Ford over a VW, but this was exactly my plan about 2 months ago (although i had to put them on hold for a while) Since the day i saw the MFT on the Edge, i was amazed by this system...and when i found out that this system was available in a car i could actually afford, i began to take notice on the New Focus. To my suprise, after visiting several dealers, i found out that this car was good enough even without the MFT, which was at first the only thing i cared about the new Focus and the only reason i would ever buy one.

In 2009, i fell in love with the MK6 GTI and always told myself i would buy one someday. Now in 2011, the 2012 Focus made me seriously consider changing my 2006 Jetta for a new Hatch 5 door model...or to follow my instincts and just get a new Golf (GTI doesnt make much financial sense in this point of my life). After test driving both, i never was able do decide for either one...like them both so much, with both having weak and strong attributes.

-Golf has a conservative styling but with lots of potential (exactly same scenario as my Jetta)... Focus is already good looking and sporty from factory, but there's not that much room for improvement.
-Golf's 5 cylinder 2.5 has a very good power band, with lots of low end torque (im so used to this in my 243 lf-ft dyno tested chipped Jetta), Focus (at least on my 5 speed manual tester) on the other hand felt very weak on torque, (only disapointment ive had with the Focus so far).
-Golf's interior quality is top notch, but very old fashion (just like my MK5; and btw Golfs havent suffered yet from VW's recent decontenting, since its still been built in Germany, and for a first time, its a different platform from the Jetta, which did suffered decontenting). Focus interior is very sofisticated, with a built quality that can finally be compared to a VW (but not surpased yet). And then again, MFT its just amazing. I was even very pleased with the simpler less sofisticated MY Ford Sync, which was the system the car i considered buying had (Yellow Blaze 5 door SE Sport PKG with 5 speed manual, sunroof & 17' painted/machined wheels).

So overall, IMO you cant go wrong with either one...and then again, this comment comes from a Euro Nuts Enthusiast...but this can be easily explained by the fact that this New Mk3 Focus its Global Car so... ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are many good comments in this thread. My wife and I also test drove the GTI with DSG as well as the Focus in both manual and DCT forms.
I thought both were fun to drive, and we'd probably be happy with either. The GTI had a little more pep, but I was impressed with the ride quality of the Focus. I think it holds up well in comparison, certainly for the money.

We both prefer the exterior style of the Focus, as the Golf/GTI exterior seems a little boring in comparison. I should mention our other car is a minivan, so it doesn't take much to be more exciting than that.

I preferred the interior of the VW GTI. It has a nice, simple elegance about it. No extra fluff to distract you. The audio control screen was very intuitive, east to look at, and just seemed to work. On the other hand, the Focus interior is nicer than any Ford I have previously owned, but it is a bit too busy for my taste, with or without MFT. I even liked the plaid cloth of the GTI more than I thought I would.

In the end, we didn't think the GTI was worth the price premium, which works out to several thousand dollars for very similar features. Besides our main goal in downsizing was to get better gas mileage and have something small and "sporty" at a reasonable price. I think if we drove more highway miles or had a long commute, then the Golf TDI might have been a possibility.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I own both a Focus Ti and a Golf GTI. I think the Golf and Focus, as equipped in the US, are really difficult to compare. It's especially tough because the Focus doesn't have VW's engine range, yet. Also, VW doesn't have the interior options of the Focus. What complicates things further is that the Golf is a 3-door/5-door/Wagon vs the Focus being sedan/5-door. Prices and quality overlap over almost all trims.

As far as price goes, our payments are within $1 of each other. The Focus has more tech and leather, but the GTI has the 2.0T and DSG (the Ford DCT isn't close). It's all about what you value. The argument can be made for the price value of each car over the other.

The GTI is just better than any Focus right now though. There are a ton of things I like better about the Focus. However, I'll have the GTI in 7-10 years and not the Focus.

I've driven both the Focus ST and Golf R. The ST is the clear winner. The AWD on the R slows it down and kills the fun. I still really think the GTI is the everyday sweet spot though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts