Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have noticed in the last couple of days that V-belt i my car (mk1) gives a noise which I suspect its coming from the V-belt. The belt seems ok, but I am not sure when it was last changed. The noise only starts when I start the engine which is cold and after a couple of minutes it disappears.

I have seen there are some spray that it says can stop the noise, I was wondering if you have any experiences with them and can recommend one that you have used.

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sticky spray doesn't solve a problem for long, if at all.

Better to check tensioner operation (assume you have one, more recent Euro models sometimes have a stretch belt) and condition of everything driven by the belt including idler pulleys.

Squeak is usually either from looseness (tensioner not working well) or one of the pulleys/one of the driven items.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
^^yes.
Belt dressing spray just covers the symptom, not the problem.
Modern serpentine belts tend to look fine right up until the second they break, in my experience, so if you haven't changed yours in a few years, then a new one is a small investment in not getting stranded.
As Sailor says, first check that the pulleys are working properly or your new belt will succumb quickly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I sprayed wd-40 on both the belt and pulleys and since then there are no noise... but I guess it is temporary and will change it soon.
By the way Sailor how to test the tension of the v-belt? any specific tool?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
WD40 is primarily a lubricant, though I've used it often to clean off grease & grime leaving a protective coating on metal. Could make things slip TOO much though the Poly-V belts are good at not slipping.

IDK if there is a tension spec., on the type with a tensioner it's only important to move it to see if it moves freely & will tension the belt as designed.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
What's a "V" belt?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts