Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I had recently bought an 03 SVTF. I am enjoying the car day to day, but I have been in need of a truck to do my cable company job. I went and priced the difference from using my car or buying a ford ranger or f150. With everything included it would be about $7000 more per year to buy a truck. YIKES. So now I have changed my mind about that and have decided to downgrade my focus into a work vehical and a personal vehical. Here is what I was going to add and see if this sounds like it could work or is it a bad idea?

Yakima Q tower complete system w/ locks straps and load stops to hold and secure a ladder.

Little Giant 26 that will extend up to 23' so that I can reach the cable lines off of the pole.

All in all I am looking at about $750 including shipping.

Does this sound like a good investment idea vs. buying a new truck for the only reason is to carry a ladder? My tool are simple and can all be carried in my pokets so I wouldn't really need a tool box or even any cargo room other then my pants pockets.

Also, has anyone had any first hand expierence with either of these models to know if they are worth the effort?

Thanks
-bryce

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
well, I know there are many people on here that are against the racks from the get go...but i say do it. No brainer, if you cant afford the truck and need to carry stuff to work than do what you gotta do.

Wondering what other things you might be able to use the rack for? Do you bike, board, or anything like that? have you thought about a safari rack? Maybe a basket style rack would accomidate more stuff?

I think it would be interesting to see how you could trick out your ride with a utility frame of mind (ie. rear seat deleted with some sort of mat or diamond plate back there, rack, maybe extra lights)

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
BTW - yakima makes some quality stuff...cant see how you could go wrong, if that is going to suit your needs.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Who says you need a new truck? I see beater's all the time for well less than a grand (at least in my region). I hate to see a good SVT messed up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nothing wrong with a roof rack if all you are carrying is a ladder, and it could be used for sports equioment as well. Bike, skis, snowboard, whatever. Yakima makes a lot of nice racks for cars. The option of deleting the back seat is a good one too. I have seen some mods on focaljet that did just that, and they looked good. The only thing to add that they didn't was a stop plate so sliding stuff wouln't come up to hit you. With people that do those with a long flat plate, you can also add compartements where the back seats used to be.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
revamp said:
Who says you need a new truck? I see beater's all the time for well less than a grand (at least in my region). I hate to see a good SVT messed up.
thats a very good point. If you are simply looking for a work truck then why not buy a cheapo? I bought a nice jeep for my first car for $1200 cash and then used it as somewhat of a work vehicle for alittle while and it was great.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
when the little giant is all folded up doesnt it fit in the back of the focus. even the the rear in cargo mode.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
i'd say go find a shortbed F150, we have lots around here,

one is a shortbed,reg cab, 1998, with a 6cyl and stickshift, alreadhas a ladder rack, and the guy wants 4400 for it, but it needs new tires.

I'd could deliver it down to u, the next time i come to indy, lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
You could get a raggedy-ass Nissan Hardbody pickup for work. I've seen them under a thousand bucks, and they hold up. They're everywhere, too; like ants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts