Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to say, don't waste your time. Don't get me wrong, the finished product looks nice, you would just be better off sending your tails to Chris (in this forum) and have him tint them with the liquid tint. In my opinion, it's not worth the 2 hours it took to make the cuts perfect and to get all the air bubbles out. My 2 hours are worth $35 plus ~$10 shipping. The only reason I would recommend anyone try this is if you don't want the tint to be permanent or if you just want to see what your tails would look like tinted.

A friend and I thought we would try the Gila "static cling" window tint on our tails to see how they would look tinted. We used the same process as you would use with normal window film (application solution, sqeege, etc). On his '88 Civic hatch, it was a piece of cake. On the ZX3 tails.......holy crap. Getting the tint to conform to all the curvatures on the tails was like pulling teeth.....you MUST have patientence. Then, cutting out the tint around the reverse light took a steady hand and a lot of, "....don't F-up, don't F-up....". Once we were done with the whole process, we liked what we saw and have gotten compliments from several people. Now that I know I like them tinted, I'm sending them to Chris when he finishes relocating and starts tinting again. For $20, I think it was worth it to try out the tinted look and make SURE that I liked it before I had them permanently tinted. My friend will probably be sending his Civic tails to Chris also.

Bottom line, if you only want temporary tail tint or want to save about $30 (it's not worth it, trust me), the Gila film will work just fine. You have been warned about the PITA it is to make it perfect.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
it's chad, but i'm glad to hear you'll be getting in touch with me.

;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cbrenn71 said:
it's chad, but i'm glad to hear you'll be getting in touch with me.

;)
Sorry Chad. The funny thing is, I remembered reading your tint thread and someone calling you by the wrong name....I thought, "I'll have to make sure I don't confuse his name".....I feel like a schmuck [:D]. Anyhow, definately let us know when you're resuming your tinting. I'll probably have a few customers lined up for you.

Later...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts