Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to transfer a bunch of music I listen to most of the time to a 16gb flash drive so I dont have to keep plugging/unplugging my iPod.

Question is, all my music is in flac, so I had to convert it to wav.

Wav doesnt support id3 tags, which I presume is what MFT uses.

What would be the easiest solution going straight from flac (decoding into mp3?).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yup, change them to mp3s, wavs are huge. I put some mp3s straight from my computer onto my android phone and sync found em and everything just worked. I was impressed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I recently found out I can play music trough bluetooth. depends on which ipod you have though. I have the itouch and i linked my ipod to SYNC using bluetooth. no more plugging or unplugging, actually no cables at all! pretty cool. And you control your music through your ipod so you dont have to deal with SYNC and the nagging voice command. Its like talking to a real woman, always complaining!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently found out I can play music trough bluetooth. depends on which ipod you have though. I have the itouch and i linked my ipod to SYNC using bluetooth. no more plugging or unplugging, actually no cables at all! pretty cool. And you control your music through your ipod so you dont have to deal with SYNC and the nagging voice command. Its like talking to a real woman, always complaining!
I have an iPod classic plugged in through USB cord.

Now heres the problem: I have a playlist set up, and I have it sorted by album and artist.

HOWEVER, sync ignores all that and puts them in alphabetical order, ignoring album and playlist order.

Really sucks when I am the kind of person that listens to entire albums at once, instead of random songs.

What am I doing wrong?

And how would I do this on USB? I am assuming folder structures dont work.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have an iPod classic plugged in through USB cord.

Now heres the problem: I have a playlist set up, and I have it sorted by album and artist.

HOWEVER, sync ignores all that and puts them in alphabetical order, ignoring album and playlist order.
Im assuming what you are saying is the inside your playlist all the songs inside the playlist are in order based on the order you have arranged multiple albums.

SYNC doesnt change the order inside a playlist. it does order the playlist names alphabetically. Maybe you have shuffle "On" in your car.

Im assuming it would be the same for itouch and an ipod clasic. If not I would always have a small aux headphone wire in the center console so i wouldnt have to use SYNC's menu

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im assuming what you are saying is the inside your playlist all the songs inside the playlist are in order based on the order you have arranged multiple albums.

SYNC doesnt change the order inside a playlist. it does order the playlist names alphabetically. Maybe you have shuffle "On" in your car.

Im assuming it would be the same for itouch and an ipod clasic. If not I would always have a small aux headphone wire in the center console so i wouldnt have to use SYNC's menu
I do NOT have shuffle on.

I did a voice search to play a particular song, which was song # 7/10 in an album.

When song #7 was done, it skipped to song #1 on a different album.

This was playing off my ipod.

Why would it do that?

Also, I have my playlist set up where it was 3 or 4 albums in a row, the albums have their songs listed in order.

When I go into the playlist, the songs are alphabetical order (so not in the same order they are in on the playlist).

·
Registered
524 Posts
I do NOT have shuffle on.

I did a voice search to play a particular song, which was song # 7/10 in an album.

When song #7 was done, it skipped to song #1 on a different album.

This was playing off my ipod.

Why would it do that?

Also, I have my playlist set up where it was 3 or 4 albums in a row, the albums have their songs listed in order.

When I go into the playlist, the songs are alphabetical order (so not in the same order they are in on the playlist).
You have to tell it what album you want to listen to. Ex. "play album dark side of the moon". Once you are on the album it will move through each song in that album. Playlists will play the exact order of songs in the playlist.

If you play an individual song sync will not automatically put you in that album so the next song that plays could be from a completely different album.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to tell it what album you want to listen to. Ex. "play album dark side of the moon". Once you are on the album it will move through each song in that album. Playlists will play the exact order of songs in the playlist.

If you play an individual song sync will not automatically put you in that album so the next song that plays could be from a completely different album.
Oh ok.. that kinda sucks.

Voice commands suck as it is, takes me 2 minutes just to do anything.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you learn the essential voice commands it's quite easy to do anything. Don't have to fiddle with menus or buttons.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you learn the essential voice commands it's quite easy to do anything. Don't have to fiddle with menus or buttons.
I mean its not very responsive at all, sometimes it doesnt recognize my commands, sometimes it does nothing.

Like I pressed the button once, said "iPod" which usually works, but it just kept listening and eventually it went away and my music started back up where it was.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So then for a USB flash drive I would HAVE to use id3 tags to get the order right, I assume just putting the files in different folders wont work?

·
Registered
168 Posts
You answered no to having shuffle on, but that is what it sounds like to me. Go through your Ipod menu and check it.

Ex. "play album dark side of the moon".
Excellent choice of album! I'll listen to that on my way to work tomorrow. Thanks,

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You answered no to having shuffle on, but that is what it sounds like to me. Go through your Ipod menu and check it.

Excellent choice of album! I'll listen to that on my way to work tomorrow. Thanks,
Anyone else have their ipod just randomly say it is disconnected? It was working one minute, i turned my car off to go get a coffee, came back about 5 minutes later, and it was playing the radio, it said the ipod was disconnected.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay, there is a deeper post on this elsewhere in here. But after a month with my 2012 SEL Focus, which I absolutely love. I truly LOATH Sync!

Where to start. I did everything posted here in the forums except reboot Sync. (I might have even done that since one night the damn thing didn't turn off for about 20 minutes after everything else was off in the car and the seemed to do like a computer reboot)

I use an Iphone 3GS and a USB stick to listen to any music in the car. Siruis absolutely sucks in the city. Knock out every 10 seconds. Let me start by saying I've given up on the Sync and just use the steering wheel command to select a tune that might be nice.(either going left or right arrows) Being specific in voice command is still super slow on the USB (when it works) and well the Iphone... it only BT connects occasionally.. when you don't expect it. It's rather funny. Actually, I was listening to my USB stick yesterday and when I got in the car after work it proceeded to tell me that my USB stick isn't compatible with this device. I've tried work-arounds, where Gracenote just screws up my library more. The constant (indexing) instead of the actual song artist and titling is enough to annoy the hell out of me for a lifetime and to top it off, I totally gave up on the Album artwork and the jukebox cover flow.. which maybe must not be available on my version since I still have no idea where that is in there.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my focus dearly, but this SYNC system I knew was going to give me grief from day once since there was a Microsoft logo there. Ford has done a great deal of changes to a great car. But please I beg on hands and knees, to whatever God there is. Please someone with extreme SYNC knowledge come down from the heavens and save me from this continuing nightmare. I just want 3 things solved.

1. I want to either use BT Iphone connection and USB connection to work period... all the time.

2. I want to see covers of my mp3's and not just generic pictures.

3. I want tracks to play in order and not alphabetically, shuffle or anything else unless I specify it.

Is that a lot to ask for?

(tears in my eyes)
JBM

·
Registered
179 Posts
Anyone else have their ipod just randomly say it is disconnected? It was working one minute, i turned my car off to go get a coffee, came back about 5 minutes later, and it was playing the radio, it said the ipod was disconnected.
It happens all the time in my car. Usually when that happens, the MFT system is about to "freeze up". Sometimes I just have to unplug the cord from the USB and then put it back in and then the ipod is recognized. Other times, I have to do the "pull the fuse" pain in the ass thing or do a master reset and then have to repair the phone etc. It's all part and parcel of the MFT fiasco in it's present state. Until an actual fix/remedy has been discovered by FORD, we're all in the same boat, unfortunately.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its unbelievable how shitty Sync is. Sooo unresponsive, so many glitches. I am used to fast computers (high end sandy bridge quad cores, 8gb+ ram, Solid State drives) so using this is a giant pain in my ass.

Why couldnt (for the price) microsoft have put a decent processing unit to run Sync?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes agree with Tundace wholeheartedly. Since BMW is the standard in Europe... why didn't Ford go with Apple as well. I would have no trouble then since I use Imacs at work and own Ipads and an Iphone.

Sign... again Microsoft screws me.....

J

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Why do you believe that Microsoft had anything to do with the design of the system hardware?
While he [Auslander] is correct that the hardware could be better, it should suffice for what it's doing. That said, Microsoft is still probably to blame for bloatware software and/or poor coding.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts