Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATING YOUR X4 DEVICE
INSTALLING THE UPDATE SOFTWARE
1. Go to SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!
2. Click “Tech Support” tab at the top of the page.
3. Click the picture of the X4 (Part Number 7015/7416).
4. Click the “Download Now” button to
the left of the listing that reads “SCT X4
Power Flash Programmer Device Update
Software.Wait for that program to
download, then double click and “Run”
the SCTDeviceUpdater.exe file if it does not open
automatically.
5. Follow the on-screen directions of the SCT Device
Update Software Installer until it allows you to click
“Finish”.
6. Follow the on-screen directions of the SCTDrivers
Installer until it allows you to click “Finish”.
7. Your SCT Device Update Software and Drivers are now
fully installed and ready for use.

UPDATING YOUR X4 DEVICE
1. Connect your X4 Device to your
Windows™ based PC using the provided Micro
USB™ cable. Unfortunately, we do not offer support
for Apple computers at this time.
2. Double click and open the SCT Device Update
Software.
3. Click “Automatically Check for Updates”.
4. Confirm the update by pressing the “Update” button.
The update will now begin.
5. Let the updater run until it says “Your device is now up
to date!”
6. You may now unplug your device from your computer
and load a tune to your vehicle!
NOTE: Make sure the X4 is unplugged from your
computer before starting this process.

READING VEHICLE VIN & STRATEGY/OS PART#’S
From the Main Menu, select Vehicle Info.
You’ll be asked to turn the key on. The VIN and if a Ford vehicle/device, it will give you the Strategy.

CHECKING/CLEARING
VEHICLE TROUBLE CODES
From the Main Menu, select Vehicle Diagnostics.
Within this menu, you will be given the option to read or clear DTC codes. Make your selection and follow the on-screen prompts.

PROGRAMMING THE VEHICLE
POWERING ON THE X4
To power up your device, using the provided HDMI to OBDII cable, connect to the vehicle’s OBDII port. The OBDII port is most commonly found within 24” of the steering column under the driver’s side dash.
BEGIN PROGRAMMING
From the Main Menu,
select Program Vehicle.
At this point, the key should be in the ignition, but in the OFF position until prompted to turn key ON.
Within Program Vehicle, there are 2-3 selections depending on the state of the vehicle.

Pre-Loaded Tune Files = Preloaded SCT tunes for use on stock vehicles only.

Custom Tune = Custom Tuning Dealer files, if there are any on the device.

Return to Stock = Restore original factory file to vehicle.

USING CUSTOM TUNES
To install Custom Tunes, select Program Vehicle, and scroll down to the Custom Tunes section. If your device contains any custom tunes for your vehicle, this is where they will be listed. Once you’ve found your desired tune select it by pressing on it and follow the on-screen instructions to load the tune to your vehicle.

RETURNING TO STOCK
With SCT devices, your stock file is stored during the initial programming. The stock file stays on the programmer until returned to stock. From Program Vehicle, select Return to Stock and follow the on-screen instructions to advance through the programming process.
NOTE: Custom Tunes are built by SCT’s network of Custom Tuning Dealers and any questions
related to them need to be directed toward the tuning dealer.

LOADING CUSTOM TUNES
Download and install the SCT Device Updater software and Drivers from :
http://sctflash.com/software/SCTDeviceUpdater.exe
1. From your e-mail, save your custom
tunes (.cef files) to your computer’s
Desktop.
2. Open the SCT Device Updater
software and click the Load Custom
Tune File button.
3. Click Browse and locate your custom
tunes on your Desktop. Alternatively,
click Locate Custom Tunes.
4. Select the Tune you wish to load.
5. The tune you selected should move
to the Available Tunes section.
6. Select the listed tune in the Available
Tunes section, then click the >>
button to move the selected tune to
the On Device section.
7. Once you have gotten all the tunes you’d like to program under the On Device section and they’re named to
your liking, just click Program, and the Device Updater will load the tunes to your device.
NOTE: To edit the name of the file as it appears on your device, you must select the file while it’s in the On Device
section, type in the desired name in the box below, and click Save.

ON–DEVICE DATA LOGGING
1. Connect the X4 to the OBDII port.
2. From the Main Menu, scroll to Gauges/Datalog and
press the center button on the X4.
3. On initial setup, you will need
to move to Configuration,
press the center button, and
select your vehicle from a list
of data log files. In the future,
you can continue without going
through the vehicle selection.
4. Once you select your vehicle,
default gauges will show
up and you can now monitor
these gauges.
5. The items being monitored can be adjusted by pressing
up or down on the device to highlight and then pressing
the center button on the X4 to select which reading
you’d like to change. Within this menu, you can change
the item you’re monitoring, and the units in which it will
be displaying.
6. To start or stop data logging, press the center button
on the X4 while monitoring the gauges.
7. While monitoring, press right or left on the device to
go to the Gauges/Datalog menu. From this menu, you
may start recording, select a data log file with which to
log, change the gauge layout, and reset the min/max
values on the monitor.

NOTE: If you can’t display a specific value from the
preloaded config files, you can download Livelink
software for free from the SCT website

www.sctflash.com

I will update this from time to time

Tom

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
1. Connect your X4 Device to your
Windows™ based PC using the provided Micro
USB™ cable. Unfortunately, we do not offer support
for Apple computers at this time.
So if I understand this correctly, which I may not be. If I were to buy a tune from you I would have to be on a windows computer? Seeing as I have a mac I couldn't get a tune? Or is it just to update the Xcal4?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
You would have to have a Windows PC

Tom

So that is because of the different software between the 2 companies? Doesn't work because software isn't compatible to run or you can't "take over" my Mac like you can when running Windows PC?

Last question. During college our stats program wasn't compatible with MacBooks, so we ran a windows emulator instead to make it work. Something you have done before? Would it work or not? Just curious.

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
SCT didn't make a software version for Apple as well as Microsoft, easier for them as they don't need to make/sell two units.

Good question on whether Apple's Windows emulator would do the trick, I don't know the current limitations on that.

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a few customers that have loaded some kind of a windows program on there MAC and it did work , what that program was I dont know

Tom

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for these thorough instructions, Tom.

So just to be sure I will be doing this right, there is no need to restore the stock tune before updating the SCT?

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So that is because of the different software between the 2 companies? Doesn't work because software isn't compatible to run or you can't "take over" my Mac like you can when running Windows PC?

Last question. During college our stats program wasn't compatible with MacBooks, so we ran a windows emulator instead to make it work. Something you have done before? Would it work or not? Just curious.
Others with MAC had added something to it and it worked with SCT very well , what they used I am not sure

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for these thorough instructions, Tom.

So just to be sure I will be doing this right, there is no need to restore the stock tune before updating the SCT?
YES ! anytime you do an update to the flasher you MUST restore the original tune back to your Focus , Then update the Flasher

Tom

·
So mote be it
8,905 Posts
SCT didn't make a software version for Apple as well as Microsoft, easier for them as they don't need to make/sell two units.

Good question on whether Apple's Windows emulator would do the trick, I don't know the current limitations on that.
Here's a couple links where Mac users had success with using SCT on their machines:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-tuning-chat/317356-possible-data-log-mac.html
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/focus-tuning-chat/517369-tom-tune-sct-x4-mkiii.html
Hope that helps and you Mac guys can still use them

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys,

I may be posting this in the wrong place and I may have overlooked some information but I have a question. I understand the update and loading custom tune process but how do I get up and running from my initial purchase of an SCT tuner. If I understand correctly the device is shipped to you blank, so from the time I get the tuner in the mail, I need to run a data log, email it to SCT and then I will be sent a custom tune, correct? I'm just trying to get a feel for the very first steps here, once I receive the actual device in the mail. I've never done custom tunes before so I apologize in advance for being a noob at this.

Thanks!

·
FF Affiliate
30,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It works like this

Make payment , I ship you the xcal , you shoot me an email when the xcal arrives , I send you an email with things I need from you , full name , engine mods etc. , I then email you the base tune file with links to things you need to load th file , allow me to remote in and to datalog , At your convenience I remote in and set up a log list and show you how to use it all like I was sitting in the car with you , you then email me your first datalog and I email back your Custom Tune

Tom

·
Registered
30 Posts
So if I understand this correctly, which I may not be. If I were to buy a tune from you I would have to be on a windows computer? Seeing as I have a mac I couldn't get a tune? Or is it just to update the Xcal4?

Thanks,

Jeff
I am just finishing the X4 updates using "parallels" on my Mac Book Pro... So far everything is working perfectly!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Everything installed, Windows side of Mac runs it perfectly. Got my base tune from Tom, reprogrammed my car no issues. I don't foresee any problems from here on using my MBP running windows.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,085 Posts
Everything installed, Windows side of Mac runs it perfectly. Got my base tune from Tom, reprogrammed my car no issues. I don't foresee any problems from here on using my MBP running windows.
What program are you using to run Windows?

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's two ways to do it, a full Windows install (which I was using at first), or the easy way that in using now, a program called Parallels...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts