Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd switch it up. Seriously, I've always put stiffer shocks in when replacing OEM shocks, throught the years that's been larger diameter pistons, gas charged in place of old style and most recently the Reflex speed sensitive shocks in my F150. My Focus is coming up on 60K and a lot of people recommend repacing shocks and struts between 50K and 60K. I really don't want to lower the car; I'm a little older than some members and have some back problems and arthritis; a lower and stiffer ride may not be for me. Everyone says not to use the stock shocks with lowering springs, the increased spring rate, lower normal position and chance of bottoming the shock will damage them or wear them quickly.

Can I use the high performance Ford shocks and struts with my stock springs? I know the ride will be a little stiffer, but I'm used to that. Will these work okay? If anything, shouldn't they last a little longer since they're damping a lower spring rate ...

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
the only thing that i could see going wrong would be breaking your stock springs but its not like thats an uncommon occurance anyway i had 3 out of my 4 springs break in one year on my stock setup, but when i replaced it i went low instead. i think you should be fine though if anything just clean and paint your springs while their out to keep them from rusting

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
the only thing that i could see going wrong would be breaking your stgock springs but its not like thats an uncommon occurance anyway i had 3 out of my 4 springs break in one year on my stock setup, but when i replaced it i went low instead. i think you should be fine though if anything just clean and paint your springs while their out to keep them from rusting

It's NOT an uncommon occurrence, really? In all my years I've never heard of a spring just spontaneously breaking, so the fact you broke 3 seems quite perplexing. Not impossible, but not typical either.

Back to the original topic. You can absolutely put upgraded shocks and struts on the car with stock springs. I'd recommend the SVT units, especially if you just daily drive the car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Nick, im guessing you werent aware of the recall on the springs i believe for the 2000-02 model focus'. I myself has 2 broken coilsprings in my 00" which only has 22k on the clock..struts were still in good condition and never hit gigantic potholes.. it was barely driven.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts