Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my 03 SPI using a little oil the last month or so. Has 141,000 miles on the old girl. Its had good engine maintenance with regular oil and filter changes.

I use the car 90% up and down the highway at 55 to 60 mph. I get my best fuel economy at those speeds. I always set it on crusie control.

I was in a hurry to get to a couple of appointments and had to step it up a little, well quite a bit on two occasions. I noticed that this was when it started to use 1/2 a quart each time I checked for a total of 1 quart over 1,000 miles. It has never used oil before.

I'm wondering where I drive the car at the lower speeds all the time the extra oil consumption may be due to the accelerated speeds I had to drive.
I just got done changing the oil and will need some time back at my regular travel speed to see if anything changes.

Any thoughts on my assumptions?

·
Registered
505 Posts
The harder you push your car, the more likely it is to burn oil. It would not happen over the occurence of you driving hard once in a while. Are you sure you aren't leaking oil from the valve cover gasket or somewhere else? Have a look.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Posted via FF MobileHigher speeds can often use more oil, varies a lot between engines and specific vehicles, though that is a lot of variation... PCV valve can increase consumption when not working properly, that & it`s hose comes up here a lot, usually for a poor idle complaint or stumbling. Lastly, topping up less than a full quart can easily result in slightly overfull, also increasing useage... Could be a combined effect with more than one cause. (note: add to full range on stck is normally 1 qt.) Don`t worry yet, normal use will probably yield normal results. Knew one truck owner who could tell if his drivers went faster than he liked by how much oil they bought to top up - diff from normal was obvious.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with the PCV thing, I noticed my 2003 used half a quart of 5w20 after 5k miles and changed the PCV and it never burned a drop ofter that. About the same number of miles too. Infact i even beat it a little too hard at times but i believe more so now that that it can handle it without putting too much wear on things.

On the other hand rings can "seize" and cause excess oil consumption but they only do that if you have a sludge problem. How often to you change oil and what type/weight and filter do you use?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts