Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't seen this issue addressed before and wasn't sure where to post it so i apologise in advance for a double posting.

.... I have an SEL sedan.. Great car but the trunk in my old '91 tracer was deeper and bigger in a car the size of a fiesta!!... in fact my old '01 focus had a bigger and deeper trunk... go figure..

I find that i can get an extra 4 inches of depth, which is significant, by removing the useless tray under the trunk.
Unfortunately ford very STUPIDLY put the amp for the sony sound system in the tray (and it's not even secured.. Just sitting there!) Because off this idiocy on ford's part i can't remove the tray totally... I'm thinking of cutting it to just leave a section the width of the amp section all way across the width of the trunk.. This way i'd increase the trunk depth for the rest.
Any thoughts on this guys? thnx

·
Registered
301 Posts
just leave it as it is. youve got plenty of room from the back seat to the end of the trunk anyways. what do you need depth in a car for?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree, the trunk additions look like afterthoughts. That amp could go so many other places, the sub too. I noticed the muffler is huge and completely underneath the spare tire - I guess not much choice for that in a short trunk car. I do not have the MFT/Sony, but the SEL has a shorter styrofoam spacer as well.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you really want/need that extra room, you could relocate the amp. It's a ton of wires, but you could easily (yet time consuming) extend the wires and mount the amp somewhere else. Better yet, there might be an aftermarket solution out there with pre-made connectors so you don't have to splice.

Tony

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
because of shoddy engineering (lack of foresight) the trunk is so shallow and the window extends so far into the trunk opening i can't even get a large duffelbag or suitcase into the trunk.. not acceptable... my old focus and an older tracer had huge trunks and were much smaller cars but the trunks accepted bikes and all sorts of large things.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just out of curiosity, if you feel the trunk space is so bad, why did you buy the car? It would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A good point and a fair question, scottjl.... when i ordered my car in january i went back and forth trying to decide 'tween the sedan and hatch... I've had many hatches in my car buying life and i actually prefer them but i thought i'd try something different this time round. (once i got to sit in a focus hatch i didn't like the lack of rearward visibility and tiny rear window. conversely the sedan has vry good rear visibility) i went w/ the dimensions ford put out in the literature and , given the size of the car and how it look i figured the trunk would be at least adequate. In actuality the trunk isn't that bad in total size if the tray wasn't under the trunk mat and if the rear window didn't come down into the trunk opening so much. It's certainly deep and wide enuf, just not 'tall' enuf.

·
Registered
968 Posts
That all seems like something that would keep me from buying a car... if I needed more space than my hatchback I would have bought something bigger. I get that you ordered it, like is, before it was on the lots for you to checkout. I was actually surprised (in a good way) a the backseat size. The Saab has (supposedly) more space in the backseat, but my two carseats fit better in the Focus.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes i agree, the back seat is roomy enuf... i really like the car and haven't any serious complaints... all my complints are tiny things, like all the lights on w/ the drls, the trunk tray, the lack of tilt on the power seat, etc.....and my mileage is great.. .straight hwy at legal speeds avgs 39mpg and around town 30mpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts