Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this posted in the general chat lounge but I thought if I posted something here in the Electronics section I'd get a better response. But I am entering senior design in Electrical Engineering this fall and I need some ideas for a project. This project needs to be fairly involved, nothing like just piecing different things together and making something that's already on the market. It can be something unique or just an add-on/improvement to an existing product. I also have to come up with a marketing scheme for this so it needs to be something useful instead of just something that people will say "Wow, Neato!!" It can be something specifically for our beloved foci or just something for cars in general. Can also be something you would find useful at work, around the house, etc... So please check out my other thread and post your ideas there [:)] Also, mods please don't move or delete this because I feel I'll get a better response from car audio/electronics savvy people than just the general chat lounge.

Original thread

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Absolutely!

Modify stock head units to have 3 pair of pre-outs, and/or better yet, an optical output that can be connected to an external processor like the Alpine PXA-H701. I know some can easily be done, but I'm not sure about the Focus HUs.

For optical output to processor, you still have to have the C701 controller for fine-tuning and volume control.

The pre-outs could be for direct hook up to amps. Having the ability to have a 6ch DSP in the stock unit may be asking too much. LOL But if they were full frequency outputs, then you could control the crossovers and such via the amp/s or an external device, etc.

So,

1) 3pr of pre-outs (preferably 4v or better with a clean unclipped signal)

2) optical output option for those who want to use the H701/C701 combo.

Obviously #1 is the most marketed option.
The big question is if you can have any control over them, like level control, etc?

The optical output will be for CD only, since it's the original digital domain. All other sources are analog. But the other sources via analog would be connected via the pre-outs.

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm, now there's an idea. How about this...just kind of continuing with the audio ideas. I know it's been done for household speakers but never seen it on car audio.....a plug that goes into the RCA jacks and transmits the signal wirelessly to the amp.

·
Registered
228 Posts
FocusInCali said:
Absolutely!

Modify stock head units to have 3 pair of pre-outs, and/or better yet, an optical output that can be connected to an external processor like the Alpine PXA-H701. I know some can easily be done, but I'm not sure about the Focus HUs.

For optical output to processor, you still have to have the C701 controller for fine-tuning and volume control.

This already exists in the LOC or the AudioControl LC8 etc etc. The only way to get get a "true" pre-amp signal off of an existing stock HU is to take it apart. There's nothing you could ever plug in and bypass the factory amp. You have to connect up to the signals internally before the internal amplifier

The optical side could be a possibility on certain stock HU. Mercedes, Volvo, BMW all have factory optical signals going from the HU to the stock amplifier.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Yes, the intention is to go inside for those ideas. [;)]

I think werewolf has done the optical output conversion on certain HUs with certain chipsets. There's a thread on Buwalda's site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts