Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My focus at 100k IMO, I know this was a used car when i bought it and yes i checked it out and the dealer I bought it from did check it and passed a check list from the finance co, auto check came back good (would lie to see a carfax not that they are any better but have seen more detail on them) , I have learned a few things from my ford, NOT to buy one, Not to buy a used one, or Not to buy a used car from this ford dealer, this is my experience from this one car first ford i have bought

the suspension is falling apart int parts breaking new brakes sound like a coffee grinder at low speeds brake dust turns wheels black day after I clean them, rear wiggle is white knuckle driving, RR tracks and small road bumps might set off the airbags, ( I wonder if i have a drivers bag, because it seems to be falling off) bought in july15 , this all started to degenerate within a few weeks (Oct) engine and trans seem fine, digital display had to hit the dash to stop it from flickering, It is running and getting me around and thankful for that, i'm just upset that everything went down hill soooo fast , and multiple things at once, sorry for the vent, maybe I bought a one time lemon,

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's definitely not an issue with Ford building the car poorly, my 2010 SES (121k miles) and my friend's 2008 SE (118k miles) have no issues you are describing. I re-did my suspension at 110k miles but before I did it it did not feel dangerous to drive or make any noises like you are describing. Sounds like if the brakes really are new, the dealer used the cheapest and non-Ford / Motorcraft parts they could find. I have never had a set of brakes sound like that on ANY of my Fords, and I currently have EBC sport brakes on my car and even those do not make that much dust. While I take good care of my car, my friend beats the crap out of her 2008 and it still is holding up much better than what you are describing. Sorry to say it but it sounds like the dealer you bought from is terrible and did sell you a bad car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
People trade in cars when they start to need repairs. At 100K miles parts are starting to wear out. The dealer will throw a "band aid patch" on them then tell you that all is well. It isn't exclusive to Ford dealers or cars, they all do it (it's part of the auto sales culture).

As far as your brakes, most likely they threw in a set of cheap (soft) pads and did not replace the rotors. Old rotors will grind up a new set of pads in a hurry. Look at the surface of your rotors, it should be smooth all the way across both front and back sides. Grooves in the surface and ridges at the inner and outer edges mean that the rotors are anything but new.

A loose air bag is definitely a safety issue that they should of fixed. Maybe they did fix it, a dab of superglue that will last just long enough for someone (that would be you) to drive it off of the lot.

High mileage used cars are not for the faint hearted or those who are not well versed in auto mechanics.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you have had it for under 30 days some dealers will step up and fix things for you.I had a lot of Fords 2 where less then par. Both my Focus 06 now a 08 have been great.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sounds like the dealer did a quick flip and pushed it out the door. I know I almost felt bad trading in my 07. 135k miles. Needed tires, brakes, suspension, battery and had a few electrical gremlins.

Best I can say is to start replacing things as you can starting with brakes. Move to suspension next.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, the car runs great is just driving it is a little scary at times those little lane divider tiles will sometimes throw the car to the side, its also starting to have a tire rub sound when making a left turn, i still kinda like the car but i didn't want to dump a boat load of money into it right away, I was quoted 1900 in repairs before they will do a 4 wheel alignment, the brakes stop the car Ha!, they also have the low pad noise when starting out low low speed, but not at normal stops, the air bag/horn pad is loose seems like a screw on the left maybe is was in a wreck and they didn't replace the screw or it fell out, still getting the feel of this car, something new every month,

·
Jetsetter
6,650 Posts
How well the previous owner took care of the car also plays a big role on the condition. And when it comes to used its anyone's guess on that one.

The good news is that the Focus is an easy car to work on, and GOOD parts can be had for a decent price. Buy some parts, get yourself some tools, grab a buddy, open a beer and start turning wrenches. You can turn that $1900 in repairs to less than half that by doing it yourself.

And there are plenty of resources on here and youtube to show you what you need to do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the car was supper clean minus a couple of door dings, int clean, only had the car for 3.5 months just in the last 3 weeks problems started minus the brake dust thing,
estimate called for all rear control arm bushings front bushings tie rod ends end links shocks and struts, strut bearings rear shock bushing/bearings, sway bar end links, I have the knowledge and skill set but sold all my tools, lost house after divorce, never done front struts, mostly shocks, im thinking of a second opinion sure does seem like a lot to be bad all at once

·
Registered
15 Posts
All those things do not "go bad" all at once, they wear out over a long period of time. You just noticed them after driving the car for a while.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe this is why I'm going to get a second opinion, but those aren't cheep,

I baby my vehicles take good care kinda borderline anal about it, this thing im scared to put on lift due to if the weight come off the wheels something will disconnect and fall off, Ha!,
Just for giggles after i read this, last night I went to the dealer drove threw the parking lot (same path when test driving it) speed bump hit hard on bump stops, then drove the same route of test drive same speed maybe slower because of weekday traffic there was a dip on the way and if i wasn't wearing my seat belt i would had hit the roof with my head, any of this and i wouldn't have bought it unless they fixed it, also within the 30days of purchase there was a noise in the front i thought it was tires but test and inspection was a left front wheel barring, took it to the dealer and had it all day the said it was the tire and rotated them and noise went away (it was getting really loud from when first noticed it) now on the rear no noise at all, even the suspension seemed better but after a few weeks it was bad, the colder weather seems to be worse, there is also huge globs of grease all over parts, fitting, shocks, and bushings too, ( i know that's not normal) I guess I bought a dealer quick turn car, My fault for not having a real mechanic check it out, i still own money on it, once paid off, off to the scrap yard, i couldn't sell it to someone with a clear consonance,

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a squeak develop after a few days of owning mine. I used to be an auto mechanic doing front end work and swore it was the struts. Took it in because it was under warranty and turns out the e-brake cable was notorious for rubbing on the frame and squeaking. The greased the hell out of it and it hasn't made a noise since. I'm willing to bet it was the same with yours and they just lathered it up with grease and blamed it on tires. Did it sound like a rusty bed spring before you took it in?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
For struts there easy to do you need a spring compressor or you can by loaded ones. These are complete units 3 bolts on top and 2 on the lower and 1 bolt for the sway bar end link,And (one to discount the abs wire I think). I was told the front struts aren't bad unless leaking fluid. Rear shocks I think you are describing with the lane jumping and handling issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never squeaked and still doesn't just a little rattle and hits hard when i go over tiny bumps doesn't bounce more than twice but they are big, sways really bad, the rear feels like it will almost jump into the next lane, but smooth roads it drives great funny how the tire noise is completely gone,

·
Old Phart
44,595 Posts
Good description of driving with shot struts/shocks.

"Doesn't bounce more than twice" is enough right there, shouldn't bounce at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts