Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just got a used 2000 Ford Focus SE last week with 86,500 miles on it. It seems to be an ok ride so far, but I have two error codes that I need checked out and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

Right now I got:

P1406

and

P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

Are these two problems related and how do I go about getting them fixed (generally speaking)?

I'm not much of a car guy, I can do some maintenance on my Motorcycle, but I've never really peeked into a car engine before.

Can you guys help me troubleshoot these issues and help me find out how bad they are?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
For P0420...

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

My bet is bad o2 sensor.

For P1406 I would check your DPFE and the bottom (downstream) hose going to it. Could be off or loose.

DPF EGR Sensor Downstream Hose Off or Plugged While driving, the EGR monitor commands the EGR valve closed and checks the differential pressure across the EGR orifice. The test fails when the signal from the DPF EGR sensor continues to indicate EGR flow even after the EGR valve is commanded closed.

Downstream hose is disconnected
Downstream hose is plugged (ice)
Plugged or damaged EGR tube
Look for signs of water or icing in hose
Verify connection and routing (no excessive dips)
Verify DPF EGR sensor proper mounting and function (view DPFEGR PID while applying and releasing vacuum directly to sensor with a hand pump)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting..

Are there any chances that these two codes could stem from the same root problem, or are they too independent to do that?

Also.. I notice that when the car is idling or at slow speed there is a pretty decent smell of gasoline (it goes away at speed), is that normal, and if not, could that stem from either of these codes?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting..
Also.. I notice that when the car is idling or at slow speed there is a pretty decent smell of gasoline (it goes away at speed), is that normal, and if not, could that stem from either of these codes?
Please tell me that you have verified that the gas cap has been closed properly (open, close for at least three clicks (if the Focus has a "clicky" cap)).

My S2000 once threw a check engine light on the way to work... I got out and smelled gas ... opened the cap, closed it properly, and the problem was solved.

I'm just mentioning this because I believe you said you just got it, which means you may not have put fuel in it yet.

-Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've filled her up 3 times so far, made sure the gas cap was on securely.

What is this DPFE hose? I've never heard of anything like that before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What is this DPFE hose? I've never heard of anything like that before.
Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) ... part of the smog system. You may want to try punching in those error codes (and, in fact, 'dpre hose') into google (http://www.google.com); you might get fast results as it seems like it's a common code / problem.

-Jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I fixed P1406, I needed a new DPFE sensor (the hose and the plastic piece the hose connects to on the old DPFE broke), but I still have P0420.

Should I start with the O2 sensor? Is this a difficult thing to replace?

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
The o2 sensors are not difficult to replace ... just be careful and dont damage the sensor ... its very sensitive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts