Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday I traded in my 2010 S 5-Spd manual for a 2012 S 5-Spd manual and just took it for its maiden voyage out into the Virginia countryside beyond the Shenandoah, over hills, a couple of mountains and winding country roads through horse and wine country. I must admit I was impressed; I didn’t buy the car for performance - the main purpose of my first Focus was strictly utilitarian; i.e. back to forth to work with no frills and decent gas mileage. As such I only took the 2012 for a short test drive before I signed the deal, but I did notice a little extra zip and the interior cabin gave me a deja vu of Beemer’s I used to drive (I had 4 different 3-Series in the 80’s and 90’s all 5 spds and sport equipped S types).
Well, after the 100 plus miles today putting the little guy through the paces I’m very impressed with the response.

I just have a question to put out:
The owner’s manual says that premium fuel will assist performance. Has anyone tried this consistently on the new 2012 engine to validate? Is there any known downside to running premium (93) as a standard practice, other than the strain on the wallet?
Any comments would be appreciated…..thx.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
I exclusively run premium now. I find it to round out the bottom end of the RPM range a bit, making it a bit better to drive. No idea why, I've tried it 'blind' not knowing what gas I was using, I notice a difference.

YMMV.

I do NOT notice any difference in acceleration at full throttle, or anywhere close for that matter. Might make a few extra horsepower, I doubt very much.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'd run $/mile experiments on all fuels, but if I were you I'd wait until you're over 2500 miles or so before doing that. It takes a while for the computer to settle in to how you drive. I recommend that everyone experiment with different grades and brands for at least 2 tanks per brand/grade. There might be a significant difference. I've noticed differences in the fuels here as far as MPG in each vehicle. That's how I gauge efficiency. In my case, I never noticed enough of a difference in mileage to inspire me to use premium fuel in my 05. Hopefully you'll notice something in your vehicle. There are so many variables that you really can't take anyone else's word for it. Premium might give you better fuel economy in Denver in the winter, but not in Florida any time of the year- for example.

Premium fuel should be cleaner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Premium fuel in 2012

Thank you...very helpful, good info. I'm still working down the full tank that the dealer loaded up and will try premium next and see what (if any) results in performance/mileage. It'll take more than a few tank fulls to evaluate I'm sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts