Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the USB port always on in your car? Mine seems to be on all the time, plug my ipod in and its on straight away, even with the ignition off. If the stereo is turned off it still displays the ford symbol on the ipod.

I havnt checked if it goes off when the car is locked. Its a stupid idea if it is permanantly on, some people like me like to leave the ipod in the car (1st gen so practically worthless).

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
could be useful for charging the device.

my old desktop had power to the usb all the time. so nice to charge my mp3 play and camera without it actually have to be on.

if your worried about it killing your battery unplug it

·
Registered
671 Posts
could be useful for charging the device.

my old desktop had power to the usb all the time. so nice to charge my mp3 play and camera without it actually have to be on.

if your worried about it killing your battery unplug it
Generally all new cars you're able to use the power outlet or usb to charge while the car is off.

I can do it on my 2000 Volkswagen when the car is off, like Mike said. If you're worried about it draining battery simply unplug it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If your USB device has a battery, it's probably gonna draw power.
The Ford logo means it's connected to sync.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, just been messing around with it, left it on the seat and locked it. It turns off about 10 seconds after locking and becomes 'live' as soon as its unlocked. Glad its not permanent live as it could potentially drain the battery.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone know if the USB ports 3.0?

·
Registered
87 Posts
^
being that I can find nothing on this in the pamphlet, manual or other listings of specs, they are likely 2.0
I just don't think marketing would have missed that little nerd detail if they were 3.0

·
Registered
781 Posts
they are 2.0 and they shut off approximately 10 minutes after the car is shut off. this has been discussed in quite a few threads already.

what would you need 3.0 for anyway?

·
Registered
104 Posts
3.0 would probably index the drive faster.
I was curious, because if it was 3.0 I would buy a new thumb drive.

·
Registered
781 Posts
given that the computer running MFT is small limited system (read somewhere it only had 512M of ram) running WinCE i find it very unlikely it would have usb 3.0. be happy it has 2.0, as they probably couldn't find any 1.0 ports around in a parts bin. the system wouldn't be able to handle the 5Gb speed of 3.0 anyway and would probably result in your car spontaneously combusting. not good. save your cash and buy a cheap USB drive or even better, a cheap SD card and free up one of your USB ports (provided you have the upgraded radio).

·
Registered
683 Posts
3.0 would probably index the drive faster.
I was curious, because if it was 3.0 I would buy a new thumb drive.
I would too, if it were. All the manuals and supplements I have downloaded (pre-delivery, mind you) do not specify. I'm sure someone here can quote the source, but it evades me. That said, it would be uncommon for USB 3.0 to not have a blue tab in the female end (end on the computer, or end in the console for the FF), so it is likely 2.0. Every picture I have seen has the standard black centering tab.

·
Registered
683 Posts
given that the computer running MFT is small limited system (read somewhere it only had 512M of ram) running WinCE i find it very unlikely it would have usb 3.0. be happy it has 2.0, as they probably couldn't find any 1.0 ports around in a parts bin. the system wouldn't be able to handle the 5Gb speed of 3.0 anyway and would probably result in your car spontaneously combusting. not good. save your cash and buy a cheap USB drive or even better, a cheap SD card and free up one of your USB ports (provided you have the upgraded radio).
Right on, Scott!! It would be 1.0 if they could make it happen!
[hah][hihi]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts