1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
US fraud prosecutors demand Ford Focus, Fiesta documents
Phoebe Wall Howard Detroit Free Press
Published 7:56 PM EST Nov 6, 2019
U.S. Department of Justice criminal fraud investigators have demanded documents related to the transmission used in about 2 million Ford Fiesta and Focus vehicles sold throughout this decade, the Free Press has learned.

The Free Press obtained a subpoena issued in April in Case No. 126 before a District of Columbia grand jury requesting “all documents, communications and electronically stored information” relating to the company’s actions involving the DPS6 PowerShift transmission dating to 2010. It asked for material that might show whether the company knew the transmissions were defective and couldn't be fixed or that it lied to federal safety regulators.

source - https://eu.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/11/06/ford-fiesta-focus-transmission-lawsuit-dps-6/2506025001/

·
Registered
160 Posts
Until something major happens, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. A problematic transmission signed off before a 2012 model made it to production, took 6 years for said problems to be uncovered? Yeah right.

If I recall history well I do remember the Ford Pinto, and what did Ford learn from that...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Until something major happens, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. A problematic transmission signed off before a 2012 model made it to production, took 6 years for said problems to be uncovered? Yeah right.
I first heard issues about them from a mechanic buddy of mine back in 2014/15. I didn't think too much about them at the time since I knew a lot of first-gen DCTs aren't able to replicate the smoothness of a normal tq converter but I never knew it was this bad.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ford's army of lawyers will slow roll this until most MK3's are in crushed in salvage yards.
This. Why anyone thinks yet another new investigation would work out is beyond me. Time is on Ford's side and they know it.

·
__________/\__
2,160 Posts
If I recall history well I do remember the Ford Pinto, and what did Ford learn from that...
I agree but we now live in a more aggressive litigious environment. Witness what the feds did to Toyota when they uncovered their lies and popped them with a 1.2 billion dollar fine to avoid criminal prosecution.

Of course this won't help the consumers stuck with DPS6 transmissions. Ford will just charge more for F150s to make up the difference.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Ford's army of lawyers will slow roll this until most MK3's are in crushed in salvage yards.
This. Why anyone thinks yet another new investigation would work out is beyond me. Time is on Ford's side and they know it.
I agree but we now live in a more aggressive litigious environment. Witness what the feds did to Toyota when they uncovered their lies and popped them with a 1.2 billion dollar fine to avoid criminal prosecution.

Of course this won't help the consumers stuck with DPS6 transmissions. Ford will just charge more for F150s to make up the difference.
While I do agree, it really only pertains to folks seeking a buyback of some sort. You're right, a lot of the cars will be off the road (and if Ford's smart, they should already be buying the ones available at auction), but if Ford is found criminally liable, there's still reimbursement and damages for those who have had to deal with the DPS6 dumpster fire.

Reimbursement should, at least, go back to the consumer untouched by lawyers, but of course the majority of any damages will go to the lawyers.

It's infuriating to think of it, but at this point the best anyone can hope for is "something", because it's better than nothing. There is no legal action the government or an army of lawyers can do to really hurt Ford in the long run, but I have the sincere hope that they get called out, slapped with giant fines, and they do have to jack up the cost of their vehicles to make up for it...because then, at least, that decreases their desirability. Ford diehards will probably pay because people are weird like that, but anyone who was on the fence between a Ford and the alternative may well consider going to a competitor.

Of course, even if all of that happens, the folks who are responsible for screwing over hundreds of thousands of people will drive away in their non-Ford with a golden parachute, completely without consequences. Stockholders and blue-collar employees will take the hit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts