Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all i need help! 2002 Ford focus SVT. I was driving along today and nothing seemed out of the ordinary but when i arrived at the place I was going I noticed my oil temp light was pegged in the red! It was dripping coolant and steaming and I let the engine cool down then filled the coolent
. The weird part was that my water temp gauge was perfectly in the middle! I filled it up and carefully drove home but on the way, after like 8 miles, the oil temp started to rise again and again I was pissing coolant and steam. I filled it up with water and got home again the water temp gauge was rock solid in the middle the whole way!

Please help!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is it possibly just a coolant leak and the water temp gauge is just wrong?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
First, where was it "hissing coolant"?

Second, if coolant is low & engine hot, don't add coolant until it cools down to a temp you can touch.

Do you know the "odo trick" for reading actual temperature?

Water temp gauge & oil temp are "idiot light" type gauges that give inferred rather than actual readings - center holds for anything in 'normal" range, heads for the hot end fast if over that.

Fans come on at all?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I think the oil temp gauge in an SVT may be a "proper" gauge and the water temp gauge is, as mentioned, an "idiot" type gauge cleverly disguised as a proper gauge.
Leak should be easy to find if coolant level drops substantially...unless you're burninng it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK update: I got the car on a lift and turned on the engine to try and find leaks ans sure enough, there was water dripping. It was coming from a short ~"16 hose that runs over the passenger side axle right above the CV boot. It was dripping around where the clamp was grabbing on. Hopefully this is all it was. The engine temp/ oil temp thing was scaring me a bit but its possible I just dripped out all my coolent and then over heated.

"hissing coolent" meant it was hissing steam and dripping coolent. Sorry I wrote it kind of quick.

Im going to grab a replacment hose in the morning

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When it overheated, it was spitting out water pretty quickly and left a good puddle after only a minute or two. When it was up on the lift and i was searching there was only drip once or twice a second. Is this just because the engine is cool now and there in not as much pressure in the lines or should I keep looking for a leak elsewhere

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
BC is prob. right on the oil temp gauge, adding up different references I've seen the ones that say it's another "idiot" gauge might be wrong.

Coolant would spew a LOT faster under pressure, would have slowed once cap was off or cooled down.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay all thanks for the help!

Here are some pics. One of the heater lines cracked and was leaking water.

Old line

New line in place

Another new line picture

Im guessing my water temp gauge was not working because the time the engine started over heating was when all the water had leaked out. The oil temp gauge was the one rising up

·
Registered
620 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts