Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are urethane body parts such as bumpers, side skits and etc. a good thing or a bad thing? What are the advantages or drawbacks as opposed to traditional fiberglass parts? What are your experiences with this type of construction?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Urathane is like what the bumpers are now. They will bend slightly and aren't as fragile as fiberglass. However, it cannot be repaired as easily as fiberglass. However, I believe urthane is lighter than FG.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
yes urthane is alot lighter,, and actually is bends a hell of alot more than fiberglass. easy to fix scratchs and beleive it or not easy to fix with bondo or what ever else you can find. but when fixed wont hold the same integrity before being broken. hard to modify..

fiber glass- heavier, some actually beleive that its stronger.. (thats because i re-enforced fiberglassed it) can be easily repaired or made stronger... doesnt bend or flex at all.. just breaks or gives way. can be molded easily.. or modified.

so you have ups and downs to both. if you have crappy roads, or your car is lowered i would suggest urthane.. only fiberglass bumpers if you know how to drive with a lowered car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Urethane vs. Fiberglass

Most urethane kits seem to be easier to install. Since most fiberglass is hand laid, there tend to be more subtle (or not so subtle) variations in them. Depends on what your looking for I think.

·
Registered
697 Posts
urethane kits are easier ot installs becasue they will flex the right amouant for that perfect fit. not if a FG kit dont fit well good luck trying to bend it in place. SNAP CRACKLE, mmm want hald my bumper?

i seen that happen before.

·
Registered
697 Posts
alot of thebay ones are junk i've installed 4 of those, and i had to break the bumper and refiberglass it for a perfect fit.

note in my liftime i've only installed 16 bodykits. 10 being eurethane.

just depends on the supplier who actually lays the kit really.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts