Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm planning on a number of diy projects over the next few weeks to try to get a few more bucks for my car. i'm thinking about selling it before the summer is over. anyways, right now i'm completely detailing the entire exterior of my car to as near perfect condition i can get, detailing the engine bay and undercarage, just put brand new tires on it, and also plan on painting the rear drums and calipers. i was just wondering if there are other inexpensive touches i can add to my car to make it worth a little bit more. oh yeah and is there a diy link for painting the front calipers?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
fix everything little thing on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i certainly wouldn't mess with anything that makes the car look like it's been played with. don't screw with the headlights. don't paint the calipers anything other than what they would look like if they were brand new. clean it up to as close to like-new as you can get it, make it run as close to as-new as you can get it. i would refrain from doing anything that would associate the car with any sort of 'tuner' stuff.

you're on the right track with detailing everything, but i doubt anything other than that would increase the value of the car. keep in mind, these are fuel saving econo-boxes, and gas is quite expensive these days. so some regular adult might wonder why somebody ruined the headlights. and someone who is looking for a good used car might shy away from anything with 'diy' anything done to it. keep it as close to stock as you can for the highest resale value.

lucas.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
make sure the interior is spotless. most people are too stupid to look under the car/engine.

paint rusted suspension parts black again (control arms, rear subframe, springs, other visible stuff)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Paint the side trim, if it's not already painted. That can be costly, though, to find color matched paint... looking at 80 dollars? Dunno, never had to do it myself...

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
lucas g said:
i certainly wouldn't mess with anything that makes the car look like it's been played with. don't screw with the headlights. don't paint the calipers anything other than what they would look like if they were brand new. clean it up to as close to like-new as you can get it, make it run as close to as-new as you can get it. i would refrain from doing anything that would associate the car with any sort of 'tuner' stuff.

you're on the right track with detailing everything, but i doubt anything other than that would increase the value of the car. keep in mind, these are fuel saving econo-boxes, and gas is quite expensive these days. so some regular adult might wonder why somebody ruined the headlights. and someone who is looking for a good used car might shy away from anything with 'diy' anything done to it. keep it as close to stock as you can for the highest resale value.

lucas.

As someone who sells for a living, I couldn't have said it better myself. Good advice Lucas [thumb]

·
Registered
705 Posts
Lucas took the words right out of my mouth, and put a few more in. But I agree 100% Appael to the majority rather than the "tuner" minority. Any customizing always takes away from the value because the people who modify cars USUALLY beat on their cars, thus usually making them more problem prone.

·
Registered
705 Posts
oh and make sure you dont get any wax on the trim, it makes it look ugly. I just made a new thread about cleaning it if there is any. Once the wax is gone don't forget to shine it up with tire shine or armor all.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
don't forget all the preventive maintence issues too. fresh oil changes, tune-ups, new brakes and such. you're on the right track so far with the new tires. and like eveyrone else said, keep it as stock as possible. painting the side trim would also make it more satisfying to the eye and draw more attention to the car.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
if you're gonna get new tires make sure you get oem tires not some cheap replacement just to say it's new tires.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah my new tires aren't the oem eagles but they are definitely not a cheap set of tires. brand new yokohama avid trz's.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Buy Tom's used Turbo for the zetec for 1500 (half price I believe.) and then sell it for 2300 more. That's a good 1up.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
get a tune from wayne with the etter gas mileage tune that way it appeals more, more gas mileage = better chance selling+ easier, and when it gets 30mpg in city itll sell no problem

·
Registered
705 Posts
Klondike said:
get a tune from wayne with the etter gas mileage tune that way it appeals more, more gas mileage = better chance selling+ easier, and when it gets 30mpg in city itll sell no problem
I get about 30mpg city and have a cone filter. But thats another routine maintnence thing, a nice airfilter, a drop in of course.

okay more like 28 city, but over 30 whenever I hit the highway. #1 bast way for better milage is backing off the skinny pedal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts