Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as a short term solution until I decide if I want to make the CAI plunge, I was considering upgrading to the SVT snorkel, and I see where Massive Speed sells just the snorkel no air filter box pretty decently priced. They discuss that you can cut the hole in the standard box bigger and I don't have a problem with this concept, but I was wondering, do I need the SVT box as well as the snorkel to see the full benefits? Or is just the snorkel enough?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Not worth it IMO. Do this and it probably work much better.

Go to autozone, buy a lenght of their convoluted flexible hose stuff, take your existing snorkel and mount it to the bottom of your lower radiator support. Connect the tubing from airbox to snorkel. There, much much cooler air and a more direct route and it costs less. Work great with my supercharger setup in the summer to keep intake temps down. Only cost me $20.

Also moving this to Zetec Performance chat

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you are going to get the svt snorkel then I would recommend getting an svt MAF tube too. It is the lil tube where the maf sits. The inside diameter is bigger than the stock zx3. This way you will increase air flow all the way to the intake manifold.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are we talking about the tube that comes off the top of the filter box before the MAF? Since I am assuming that the tube that goes from the filter box to the manifold is specific to the nonSVT ZETEC right?

·
Registered
618 Posts
From the airbox, there is a small tube about 4 inches long. The MAF sensor bolts into it. The long tube you are referring to is the one that bolts into the throttle body.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Do you bolt your existing MAF to the SVT MAF tube, or do you just replace the whole thing with the SVT MAF and tube? And if so, does the ECU have any trouble reading the SVT Maf?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I bolted my maf sensor to the svt maf tube. Bolts up fine and the computer just needs some daily driving to recalculate for the increase in air.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I added the SVT snorkel from Massive. I could feel a little better acceleration, it was well worth thirty bucks and an hour of work. It helps to have a Dremel tool to open up the bottom of the airbox. You could probably use a drill with a cutting burr also.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I have a dremel. So no worry there. Now I guess the 64 thousand dollar question is, any change in MPG? :p

·
Registered
618 Posts
That I do not know. I never checked. If I drive with a soft foot, I am lucky to get 300 miles on one full tank of gas.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
heres teh easiest way to do this, get a snorkel and lower half of the svt box. the top half of the zetec box bolt to it jsut fine. geta panel filter and call it done. no need to switch maf housings or anything else. its what i did i dont ahve any problems what so ever.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Not worth it IMO. Do this and it probably work much better.

Go to autozone, buy a lenght of their convoluted flexible hose stuff, take your existing snorkel and mount it to the bottom of your lower radiator support. Connect the tubing from airbox to snorkel. There, much much cooler air and a more direct route and it costs less. Work great with my supercharger setup in the summer to keep intake temps down. Only cost me $20.

Also moving this to Zetec Performance chat

i also did this to my zx3,but may i add one extra bit of info,,add a piece of wire mesh in the end of the snorkel to catch bigger debris that dont normally get in when its mounted in the hood area..i was surprised what i picked up before i put the mesh in.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SVT_BMXer, I see where there would be a lot of benefits to your modification, but wouldn't I still be better off using the SVT snorkel as opposed to my stock ZX3's? Wider tube = more air.

·
un1corn
2,703 Posts
I cannot believe nobody has said this.

THE SVT MAF HOUSING IS NOT A BOLT ON MOD. IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE THIS.

If you take your MAF sensor and bolt it into the SVT MAF housing your car will not run right. The MAF on our zetec is tuned to that specific diameter housing. If you take your MAF and move it into the larger diameter housing then the ecu will be calculating everything incorrectly. You will be taking in more air than the ecu thinks it's taking in. Your car will then run lean and throw codes pointing to completely different parts as a result. How do i know ths? Because i did it.

If you get your car dyno tuned then the larger diamter housing is a possibility, but it is definitely NOT a bolt on mod. Dont waste your time/money/effort.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I cannot believe nobody has said this.

THE SVT MAF HOUSING IS NOT A BOLT ON MOD. IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO USE THIS.

If you take your MAF sensor and bolt it into the SVT MAF housing your car will not run right. The MAF on our zetec is tuned to that specific diameter housing. If you take your MAF and move it into the larger diameter housing then the ecu will be calculating everything incorrectly. You will be taking in more air than the ecu thinks it's taking in. Your car will then run lean and throw codes pointing to completely different parts as a result. How do i know ths? Because i did it.

If you get your car dyno tuned then the larger diamter housing is a possibility, but it is definitely NOT a bolt on mod. Dont waste your time/money/effort.
So the zetec computer won't recognize this after x miles and recalibrate how much fuel it needs to adjust for the more air?

·
Banned
589 Posts
I'd like to know the same thing. I just tried the svt maf housing on my zetec and within the first 5-10 miles of driving I got a CEL pointing to a lean fuel mixture. I switched them back right away. But I have seen people saying good and bad things about this mod... Some say do it and some say dont it will ruin your engine... So whats the deal?

·
Registered
675 Posts
So the zetec computer won't recognize this after x miles and recalibrate how much fuel it needs to adjust for the more air?
Zetec computer will think there is a certain amount of air flowing threw at a given velocity. With the bigger tube and the same velocity more air is going threw. Other sensors will pickup the car is running lean.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
definitely a no no using the SVT maf tube. believe me, i did it as well. car runs very lean at idle and at high rpms (especially with higher octane fuel than 87). stick with the stock maf unless you get a tune for the SVT one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts