Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to eek out 203K out of a 2000 ZTS and it's time for an upgrade. I do like the interior better on the 05-07 models and I've noticed a few other things like they have an available 2.3L w/ a 5-spd. So here's some questions:

1. The 2.3L, looks like it's hard to find? I want manual tranny so that's okay (apparently offered only w/ manual). Any reason why I shouldn't get a 2.3L other than maybe not able to find one (I can live w/ slightly worse fuel economy)?

2. I may want to switch my seats, the leather seats in my 2000 are about perfect. I'm assuming they would fit in a sedan; but would they fit into a wagon if I go that route (I understand 2.3 not available in wagon).

3. I have a ZETEC, looks like the 05 and newer have a "Duratec", is that correct?

4. Any other general issues I should consider, i.e. things I should stay away from?

5. Oh yeah, I've searched high and low for a "charting the changes" by model year but can't find anything. If you have a link to something, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
BB

·
Registered
529 Posts
Duratec is correct, the ST came with the 2.3 everything else got the 2.0, the seats should fit fine as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Seats will bolt in okay, but the old seats won't have the airbag or sensors in it. You will get a dash light for ABS because of the old seats.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Just out of curiosity, what is "SAP"?

Also, is the Duratec considered an improvement over the ZETEC? As I understand it, both are DOHC and have similar HP & torque, is that correct?

BB

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The "old seats" will not only fit fine, if they are SVT seats, they will have side airbags. You will need to swap in the passenger side weight sensor to activate the passenger side air bag. If you are lucky enough to find an ST with the optional leather seats, you may be able to live with them. My 05 ST had horrible cloth seats. I now have 03 SVT seats, far superior in every respect. This is a good thread for seat swaps. Good luck.
http://forums.focaljet.com/interior-modifications/608828-final-svt-seat-swap-thread.html

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Focus ST:

Focus ST w/ Street Appearance Package (SAP):

I may be wrong, but as i recall, the ST w/SAP has a few extra performance mods, which puts it right near par with the SVTs performance. Few less hp, few more torque. That, and the SAP is extremely good looking IMHO.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
2. I may want to switch my seats, the leather seats in my 2000 are about perfect. I'm assuming they would fit in a sedan; but would they fit into a wagon if I go that route (I understand 2.3 not available in wagon).

5. Oh yeah, I've searched high and low for a "charting the changes" by model year but can't find anything. If you have a link to something, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
BB
2. They did put the 2.3 in the wagon's for 04 but they would be really rare to find, even more so with a 5 speed. The seats will switch over either way, pretty much the front half of the car is exactly the same.

5. Read this thread by S2 for the year to year changes and different models.

also, your title says 05-08, I would stay away from the 08's as the seats wont switch over.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
The 2.3 can be found with an auto, but you are better served with a manual IMO.
Not in the 05-07 models. ST was manual only.

I may be wrong, but as i recall, the ST w/SAP has a few extra performance mods, which puts it right near par with the SVTs performance. Few less hp, few more torque. That, and the SAP is extremely good looking IMHO.
You are....

If you can find one, look for a low mileage 04 with a 2.3. Much tougher to find, but if you are looking a modding, more exterior goodies available.

If you want the newer style for sure, look for an 05 ST (again, based on modding). As you will have more suspension options vs. the 06-07.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The duratec feels more powerful but in my opinion is noisier by a long shot than the Zetec. I can barely hear my Zetec run but my Duratec has lots of mechanical ticks and other assorted sounds coming up from under there. Plus in stock form it sounds like a truck engine. The Duratec has been trouble free however. My Zetec seems to have a new oil leak every month.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts