Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've taken my stereo out because of the sheer weight of it, i thought maybe removing the backseat (not that i had a choice) would help a little but it still made the rear tires bend inward.

i was wondering if there was an upgraded suspension so this didn't happen? i already ruined the rear control arm bushings on my old car, i'd rather not do that to this one

right now i have the OEM suspension

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
well what are you trying to achieve with a new suspension? Cause cant you just adjust the rear camber?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
lol are you running cut springs or something??? How heavy is your sterio? my enclosure and everything in my trunk is about 90-110lbs and i dont have any issues like this on stock suspension. Your suspension might just need replacing. I suggest getting H&R Coilovers if anything. They're close to the price of getting new shocks/struts and springs anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stereo weight is 428.2 pounds and that's amps, batteries, woofers, and enclosure. What I'm trying to accomplish is putting a substantial amount of weight into the hatch without rapid wear and tear on the suspension. It's bad enough that certain dash pieces have become loose, I'd rather not have to dump money on a new rear suspension once every 8 months. =\

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think you need a smaller stereo... lol... just my opinion. Who would have ever thought your stereo could cause tires to go bad. lol again.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I agree if you have positive camber, you have underlying issues other than weight. The Focus is set up for 1 degree of positive camber from the factory. If you have more than that, visit an alignment shop to get it fixed. Here's the specs the alignment shop should set it to:
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/article/74578/alignment__suspension_specs_ford_focus.aspx

I strongly suggest the more "precise" specs listed in the stickies at the top of this section. Having an alignment done to spec or the recommended spec ranges can result in wear issues as bad as no alignment at all.

I sure wish my 03 Focus was delived with only 1 degree of camber. It came with 1.6 degrees in the rear. Lots of FF members had very similar specs as mine. In reality the rear camber was not anywhere consistent from the factory.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
so i've taken my stereo out because of the sheer weight of it, i thought maybe removing the backseat (not that i had a choice) would help a little but it still made the rear tires bend inward.

i was wondering if there was an upgraded suspension so this didn't happen? i already ruined the rear control arm bushings on my old car, i'd rather not do that to this one

right now i have the OEM suspension
I suggest getting a good alignment first. Use the specs found in the alignment sticky at the top of this section. You may need a camber correction devise (bolts, adjustable upper control arms, etc) to correct camber since it's non adjustable from the factory.

If you need new shocks consider the very affordable SVT kit. It will increase handling performance and drop your car slightly (.5") for under 300.00 (includes springs, shocks, and larger rear sway bar). The Focus also has the unfortunate problem with the control arm bolts rusting to the metal sleeves in the bushings (especially the rear ones). This often requires the replacement of the control arms if you want to replace springs.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suggest getting a good alignment first. Use the specs found in the alignment sticky at the top of this section. You may need a camber correction devise (bolts, adjustable upper control arms, etc) to correct camber since it's non adjustable from the factory.

If you need new shocks consider the very affordable SVT kit. It will increase handling performance and drop your car slightly (.5") for under 300.00 (includes springs, shocks, and larger rear sway bar). The Focus also has the unfortunate problem with the control arm bolts rusting to the metal sleeves in the bushings (especially the rear ones). This often requires the replacement of the control arms if you want to replace springs.
this was also a problem with my control arms, the stereo had some to do with them needing replaced but the rust was also an issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts