Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody actually tried this and achieved it successfully, i have seen only one thread about this and nobody has confirmed or played around with this. I am going to attempt this pretty soon. I will try find a MFT from a car that has NAV enabled and fit it.

There has to be a way as of doing this, especially if there is a company called 4Dtech (4D Tech, Inc. | Ford Navigation Upgrade Kits and Accessories) selling APIM/MFT Units for 1000$

·
Registered
520 Posts
Has anybody actually tried this and achieved it successfully, i have seen only one thread about this and nobody has confirmed or played around with this. I am going to attempt this pretty soon. I will try find a MFT from a car that has NAV enabled and fit it.

There has to be a way as of doing this, especially if there is a company called 4Dtech (4D Tech, Inc. | Ford Navigation Upgrade Kits and Accessories) selling APIM/MFT Units for 1000$
You need to find a head unit with navigation. That being said, you should be aware that a good smartphone with google maps or warz is far superior that the navigation option. I have navigation and it serves its purpose, but my smartphone does a better job.

I predict that cars in the future will no longer offer navigation. Instead they will have better integration with smart phones

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, but my question is entirely related to getting the navigation working on a non NAV setup car, I understand how cell phones are really powerful being from the development world, but my question still stands about how to get the NAV working. I don't want this discussion going into the pros and cons of Car NAVS VS Cell Phone NAVS.

Cheers....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks for your reply, but my question is entirely related to getting the navigation working on a non NAV setup car, I understand how cell phones are really powerful being from the development world, but my question still stands about how to get the NAV working. I don't want this discussion going into the pros and cons of Car NAVS VS Cell Phone NAVS.

Cheers....
Currently, the only way to get the Factory navigation working in cars that did not have Navigation preinstalled is to replace the MFT unit in your car with another MFT unit that had Navigation preinstalled from the factory. Some folks here have been able to do this by salvaging MFT units with navigation built in from cars that were totaled in accidents. They would buy the units from junk yards and have them installed in their cars that had MFT but not with navigation. Otherwise, you can't go to a Ford dealership and have them "turn on" navigation. I believe there are both hardware and software issues that prevents that.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Yup, threads in both the MkIII section & the Car Audio sections detail the process.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
I have purchased the following MFT Unit from Ebay. Will Keep all updated once i get it installed. I will include some pics also. 13 Ford Escape 8" Display GPS Screen LCD Add Navigation Focus C Max | eBay
The potential risk or down fall there is that the apim in the ebay listing came from an Escape, so it's possible that the steering wheel controls may behave differently to those in an MFT equipped Focus, or the car might not have had the sony audio system.

Otherwise it should work as it's said to have navigation already enabled.

The 13 Focus ST and Escape still had the same audio controls on the steering wheel iirc, but the 14 Focus deleted the separate MFT audio controls into the right D-Pad instead which won't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Correct I have a 2013 focus st. Thanks for the comment. The user stated this and that is why he is actually selling this. I guess he has a 2014 focus now without yeh right hand control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts