Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm considering upgrade my focus. I live in Germany so I ahve the luxury of the autobahn, and I get jeolous watching poeple do speeds way above me. Now i'm upgrading my focus and after everything is said and done I'll be doing 160-165 MPH for short periods of time and could easily be curising at 150 MPH is my goal.

So I already figure stock suspession at 160 MPH isn't going to last. So what do you guys suggest?

I also know my tires aren't rated for 149+ so what do you suggest?

Also my rear brakes are drum, I want disk to disk AKA back brakes I want as disc what brakes do you suggest?

Budget, really max i'd truly want to put into the project is about $1,000 for suspession, brakes, and tires

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Running those speeds requires more than $1000 for suspension, brakes, and tires. A full suspension could be something as simple as the ST170 suspension to a full coil over set up...the coil overs being recomended (there's $1k easy). Upgrading to the ST170 rear discs will get you 4 wheel discs, but honestly you should have at minimum the full ST 170 set up and drilled/slotted rotors and high end pads (there's $1k here too). As far as tires go, only the best max perf tires will do, which should be at minimm $500 and up.

The whole deal here is about safety. If you skimp on saftey at 150mph, your decreasing the level of safety for you, your passengers, and the drivers around you.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Running those speeds requires more than $1000 for suspension, brakes, and tires. A full suspension could be something as simple as the ST170 suspension to a full coil over set up...the coil overs being recomended (there's $1k easy). Upgrading to the ST170 rear discs will get you 4 wheel discs, but honestly you should have at minimum the full ST 170 set up and drilled/slotted rotors and high end pads (there's $1k here too). As far as tires go, only the best max perf tires will do, which should be at minimm $500 and up.

The whole deal here is about safety. If you skimp on saftey at 150mph, your decreasing the level of safety for you, your passengers, and the drivers around you.
Well said. X2^ [clap]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
So maybe 500 to 700 for a good suspension, i believe the rear disc upgrade is at or nearly 1,000. You'll also have to buy a sc to reach a cruising speed of 150mph. So thats all around 4,500-4700 assuming you do all the work yourself.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
So maybe 500 to 700 for a good suspension, i believe the rear disc upgrade is at or nearly 1,000. You'll also have to buy a sc to reach a cruising speed of 150mph. So thats all around 4,500-4700 assuming you do all the work yourself.
They dont make SC for the duratec. you would want a turbo for the top end.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I am worried more about gearing than power... I mean unless you enjoy cruising at 6k RPM in 5th. (if it would even make it that far...)

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Oh well then its more than what I said. Did i even mention a good 500 for tires? To lazy to look. haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts