Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my HU to a Pioneer 4800. Sounds great really brought some life to the stock speakers, but now I want MORE! MORE! MORE! This audio stuff is addicting.

Here's what I'm looking for as far as a setup goes.
I listen to alot of rock, even some rap and others. I want a system with real clairity but good bass. I don't want the bass to rattle my windows out but I want a good healthy bass line. I also don't want my highs to sound like they are being sung through aluminum foil. I want a smooth high but very defined frequencies.

I also don't want to drop alot of money into this because in my area anyone who has a noticable system is a target for almost assured theft. I would like to keep EVERYTHING hidden. So stock placement is key.

The speakers I'm considering are Alpine type-R's (SPR-69lp).
6x9's will fit in the rear, correct? or do i need these 5x7's? I'm looking to do as little modding as possible to the car. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XO3O7bSBEvp/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?g=400&nvpair=FFBrand|Alpine#see_all

Does anyone have any suggestions based on what i've said above about what speaker i should go with. Are these alpines good?
I want decent base from the back panels..and of course good highs in the front.

Any help is great.
thanks
-matt

·
Registered
308 Posts
alpine makes good speakers, though it may help to give them more juice by installing a 4-channel amp. usually a 40Wx4 will do (even though most of their speakers handle around 30-35W, but 40 won't hurt them at all). anyway, the focus houses a 6x8/5x7 speaker. both of those fit the same size ring so you can buy one size or the other. but 6x9 is too big for the car. as for the sound, everyone's got different ears. i'd stop buy whatever car audio place you've got near you (even if it is a best buy or circuit city) and play with their crap. once you find something that fits the sound you're after, find an outlet online and give them the business instead.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Over the past couple of years, I think the best feedback I've heard for a stock setup is the 5x7 Polk Audio MMC570 speakers. They have good bass output as well as a good single 1" tweeter. These are cheap on eBay.

DO NOT buy 3, 4, or 5-way coaxially mounted speakers. You want a good 2-way with a dedicated tweeter that is better quality, and possibly with a decent crossover.

As for Alpine, you'd want SPR-57LP. Here for $78/pr....
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2832

Alpine's site:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=SPR-57LP&lang=en&tab=F

·
Registered
178 Posts
i just put in that same HU and it sounds sweet! way better than stock. if your looking for more i think it'd b worth it to get an amp for those speakers that way you'll have a more noticeable difference

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've actaully been testing out alot of speakers by going to the different shops around here.
I think what I finally came down to are Polk audio 6x8 in the rear and Alpine type-s 5x7 in the front.

The type-r's just dont' sounds right to me.
I was really impressed with how the polk's sounded amazing bass for such a small speaker.
I will probably end up boosting them with an amp.

And as for as getting pioneer speakers. I've heard alot of not so good things about them. Even a friend of mine who works for pioneer says that he think that there are better speakers for the same price.

But i also thing the sound and quality of a speaker is up for debate. everyone hears something differen.

·
Registered
308 Posts
FocusInCali said:
Over the past couple of years, I think the best feedback I've heard for a stock setup is the 5x7 Polk Audio MMC570 speakers. They have good bass output as well as a good single 1" tweeter. These are cheap on eBay.

I'm glad you mentioned those speakers. I'm going to be buying a 2007 ST this summer and was looking for something ahead of time to replace the factory speakers. I've had my eye on those ones for weeks now and had always wondered how they might sound with an amp. I've found myself focusing less on my subwoofer lately and trying to get solid sound in the doors instead. So we'll see.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
My personal opinion is to use 5x7,etc on HU power.
And if someone wants to go the extra mile of adding an amp, then they should go with round components. I don't feel the oval speakers are worthy of being amplified. Again, that's simply my opinion.

Well, playing devil's advocate, I guess I can meet halfway on this. You'd only need 50w/ch amp for them. That would be enough to maintain stable bass. The HU power is not only lower, but it doesn't have any headroom, which is what bass needs, and amps provide that.

I know it's hard to decide, but what sounds good inside the store on the wall doesn't necessarily sound good in the car. If it sounds like really clear and precise high-end tweeters, then most of the time it will be way too bright in the car. As far as bass, each driver is designed differently, and they will be used in a huge open door, so ideally you'd want to hear them in someone's car.

Car speakers point towards each other, are listened to off-axis, are buried behind panels, are in free air, and the car has a stupid amount of reflections, vibrations, and resonance to deal with.

But hey, we still try to make the best of it and get the best sound we can. [:D]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts