Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a mk3 Focus that was manufactured in 2011, and it has the stock base audio system (like in the image)

I was thinking of upgrading the system to an android system, maybe like this one

or maybe those tesla style ones. Either way, I don't know much about this. I've seen videos of people removing the radio, and it looks pretty simple, but then I don't know if just plugging the new system will work. For instance, my car doesn't have GPS, however most of these aftermarket systems do, and I think they come with a GPS antenna. So If I install one of these, will it work, out of the box?

Honestly, I was hoping someone could give me a summarised lesson on this... and the ultimate question is, if I buy one of these android systems, will it be as simple as plug and play, and everything will be working fine?

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
if your going to go that route get the Phoenix Automotive i just returned one of the ebay ones like pictured b/c none of the steering wheel controls worked and half the front panel "not screen" controls didn't work or illuminate. the phoenix is a bit expensive but worth it in my opinion. All the ones i have seen have been completely plug and play.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I upgraded my system on my 2016. It gets a little pricey. I went with a kenwood touchscreen, they needed a dash kit, idatalink module to retain sync functionality and steering wheel functions, and a adapter for the back up camera. I had mine professionally installed as it was more than what I wanted to get involved with. Also had a amp and speakers put in. It also works with android auto or Apple carplay.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the previous 10.4 vertical Tesla-style system and I wouldn't buy it again. Not sure if these are any better but horrible glare in the sunlight (even with an anti-glare screen protector), brightness is barely strong enough to overcome the noon sun, and the screen doesn't dim with the headlights so you have to manually go into night mode. The DSP is straight up garbage so music sounds like crap compared to the stock system but it has some EQ settings to help.

However, because it is basically an android tablet, you have the flexibility an functionality of a tablet so it may be worth it to you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts