Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started a few days ago and is random when it happens. It's when the vehicle is off can do this a few hours after it's been off. I have a vid link posted as well. Opening the radiator cap, washer cap, brake cap, starting and stopping the engine again does not change the tempo or stop it at all. It just goes away on its own. Check the link and any thoughts? Kind of reminds me of a jaws theme on helium lol

http://vimeo.com/107422349

The car has 4k miles on it and is an auto trans. I have done a few searches but nothing came up for me

·
Registered
472 Posts
To me it sounds like an electronic beep. Does it sound more electronic or like air leaking? Whatever it is is weird.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me it sounds like an electronic beep. Does it sound more electronic or like air leaking? Whatever it is is weird.
It seems like is coming from the passenger side front under the headlamp. Couldn't really see anything electronic in the area(besides washer pump and lamps), but it's a toss up, can't really decide if it's electronic sounding or air/vacuum leak.

it could be a dying alarm but it sounds the same right after the car is shut off and after a few hours, so no battery drain to account it to. And it doesn't do it every time.

My next step is to unplug the battery while it is acting up but didn't want to have to reset all my screens/preferences, so I figured I would ask here first. I will be emailing this vid to the dealer tomorrow to see if they want me to bring it in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is strange. Let me tell you a secret, go to the dealer directly.
That will most likely happen, the only problem is I live an hour away from the dealer and wanted to get some sort of idea of what it is before i take in. Hopefully they will let me drop it off and give me a loaner to get around with for a day.

thanks you the replies guys. I was just hoping someone had run into this issue before.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing when I was washing it last week. I thought it was a tire at first, as I had driven through some debris the night before. Then the hissing turned to a shrieking sound, like a piezo buzzer. It stopped after a minute or so, and i haven't heard it since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine was doing the same thing when I was washing it last week. I thought it was a tire at first, as I had driven through some debris the night before. Then the hissing turned to a shrieking sound, like a piezo buzzer. It stopped after a minute or so, and i haven't heard it since.
Now that i think about it, I did wash the car the same day this noise started. I'll have to see if that triggers it again, it hasn't whined at me today yet.

thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quick update, found both high and low note horns in that corner of the vehicle. that would explain the 2 sounds...but havent figured out why they would go off like that when wet?

tuxtanium, did you wash out the engine bay when you had this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same going on and it has nothing to do with washing or rain. My noise seems to start twenty or thirty minutes after I park it and could last more then 10 minutes. It is coming from under the hood on the left-side and definitely an electronic beep. I noticed it about two months ago and now approaching the 12k miles expiration of the "everything warranty". Just don't have the time to take it in to the dealer and I was hoping to hear some follow-up on this before I have to. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the same going on and it has nothing to do with washing or rain. My noise seems to start twenty or thirty minutes after I park it and could last more then 10 minutes. It is coming from under the hood on the left-side and definitely an electronic beep. I noticed it about two months ago and now approaching the 12k miles expiration of the "everything warranty". Just don't have the time to take it in to the dealer and I was hoping to hear some follow-up on this before I have to. Thanks
I have the same exact thing going on. I wonder what it is? [popcorn]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still have no answer either. I have been to the dealer twice for oil changes and they have not been able to reproduce the sound. It has been less frequent in the Wisconsin winters, and I am still handwashing the car once a week. If I ever do get solution, I will post it here. I am about due for another oil change soon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I still have no answer either. I have been to the dealer twice for oil changes and they have not been able to reproduce the sound. It has been less frequent in the Wisconsin winters, and I am still handwashing the car once a week. If I ever do get solution, I will post it here. I am about due for another oil change soon.
You know that's kinda funny, because I didn't hear it until I hand washed the my car the last weekend. Weird [confused]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Horns are a switch earth so water is probably shorting them to earth and switching them on. Poor connection = poor beep

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Horns are a switch earth so water is probably shorting them to earth and switching them on. Poor connection = poor beep
first time I took mine to the dealer, they went thru the connections, dielectric greased them, and it still does the same thing...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Grease wont do ought, as it still doesn't stop the water running over them and shorting them to earth

Need to make a cap or some tape over the top to keep water off as well as cleaning contacts up

That's why its intermittent, each mangled cat sound is a bead of water running over it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Grease wont do ought, as it still doesn't stop the water running over them and shorting them to earth

Need to make a cap or some tape over the top to keep water off as well as cleaning contacts up

That's why its intermittent, each mangled cat sound is a bead of water running over it
but as reported by doodah, it happens occasionally when no water is involved.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
but as reported by doodah, it happens occasionally when no water is involved.
He also stated it sounds like an electronic beep - and your noise doesn't sound very electronic/digital to me.

That's also doodah's only post - I wonder if he has an ST? That could very well be something wrong with the sound symposer (or reprogramming something)?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts