Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a locked SCT XCal 2 for cheap a few months ago. I'm wondering if there is anyother way to unlock the tuner than sending it back to the company to get in unlocked for $150? I'm a little short on cash and would love to get it unlocked. Also I know Tom offers tuner for the tuner. I'm wondering what I would need to upload a tune from Tom onto the unit? Thanks for any help.[wrenchin]

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
you'll have to talk with SCT to get it unlocked... from what ive heard is cost alittle over $100... and to load a tune from tom you'll need Live load, you can download it free from SCT's website... and a USB cable

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Instructions on that would be awesome, I have my old SCT 2 locked on my old SPI and have been waiting to get a tune. I have bad luck with Xcal's and loading stuff, when I first got it from FS they had given me a bad tune (car would not start) and I ended up in some way crashing the Xcal and they had to send me a new one.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
when you have the excal hooked to the computer, load up Live Load, and then you'll see a button towards the bottom of the Live Load screen to erase the tuner.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
How many people have done this?

I'm gonna Uber rep you if this works, I know a certian someone who will be mad you beat them to the punch...[;)]

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i havent personally done it yet as i dont want to wipe my tuner. lol but IIRC its got a warning on there that tells you that you'll totally wipe the tuner.

and lol @ 2nd part... lol

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Cool, I am looking all over the sct site and can't find live load? I found Live link but not load, there is no search button on there I'M LOST!! LOL

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
when you DL and install live link, go to the SCT selection on all programs and it should be listed in there...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
so i can buy a cheap tuner thats locked and than unlock it through the live software and buy a tune?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
hmm anyone know how much tom charges for a basic tune? without the tuner?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Thanks Chris, I am going to get the software and call Tom on Monday to double check this before I destroy my 350.00 programmer! [hihi]

Rep for you my friend![:D]

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
thanks! and Tom charges 125.00 for a tune, and you get free updates as long as you stay in a certain engine mod... such as N/A or forced induction....

so if you get a cosworth intake manifold next month, he'll send you a update to retune the PCM for the IM, but if you go from N/A to FI, you'll have to purchase a new tune.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
ive been wanting a tuner but i dont have 400 and some dollers for one so im ganna keep lookin around for a cheap locked one and see if i cant unlock it and than holler at tom thanks hon hon

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
your welcome, and focusin, post up if that works just so we can all confirm!

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to try in monday once i get home from work. Working on an island kinda sucks.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
I tried loading the software on my laptop but when my wife whent to cleaning it out I belive she may have deleted alot of important files by accident. SO what i'm trying to say its not working for me and I can't get all the required files to download.

Mave its up you you my friend.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Just download it again from SCT and reinstall it. Live load won't open up unless you have the xcal hooked up. Once you have it hooked up there will options at the bottom. And there is a button that says "Unlock device." I've never done it but the xcal is only allowed so many "unlocks", like mine has 2 left. So first do that and go through the required windows. This will wipe EVEYTHING off the xcal including your preloaded tune files so make sure you have a back up.

Oh yeah and damn you Honhon I was sleeping, you jacked my rep! lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts