Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a wrecked '02 SVT a while ago and have been rebuilding it. Now that I have her running and everything I am hearing a heavy tick and Im not sure what it is. It isnt coming from the motor. It sounds like the AC compressor. Would it be making that tick noise if there wasnt anything in the AC system? I dont have the air going or anything. I had to pretty much replace the whole front end, radiator, AC system. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
turn your ac on and see if you can hear the fan clutch catch, if it doesnt catch you will
hear it tick on and off

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should I turn the system on when it isnt charged? The system is completely dry, I havnt turned it on because I wasnt sure if it would mess anything up.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
no dont turn it on. cuz I dont know if it will mess up your compressor if its dry.

hmm look around the engine bay well the car is on and try to pin point where this tick is coming from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive tried using a long screwdriver and my ear to figure out where its coming from, but nothing. Guess I could always take it somewhere, but I would like to try an figure it out myself. Power Steering pump maybe? Im shooting in the dark on this one.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I'm gonna vote for Idler Pulley bearings are dry/shot.

btw, Pumpkin it's A/C Clutch not a/c fan clutch.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Tensioner pulley sounds like...."clickety clickety clickety" over and over...
I found mine was bad by using the same method that you've been trying.
^^^Meaning, screwdriver to ear.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32230

And, you're absolutely certain this isn't valve or fuel injector noises, right?
Our valve train is rather noisy, since it's not hydraulic.
There's noticable ticking every time the cam buckets hit the valve stems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its a constant heavy tick. It doesnt go faster when you open the throttle, just stays constant. Ill try and upload a video and see if it can be heard from that. Thanks again for all your help guys.

·
Registered
362 Posts
run it with the belt off. if the noise goes away you know its something belt driven. If the noise stays around start looking elsewhere. If it turns out it is your A/C clutch its real simple and dont even need to remove it. Takes special tools though.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
cant watch the vid im at work...however...id say its likely the idler pulley...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts