Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a friend that with an svt somtimes you might notice a bogging or shutter while driving...it kindof feels like when you turn on the A/C while driving but this is when its off even. I've really noticed it lately after filling it up with gas. He said it was a thing that you might notice because SVT wasn't able to correct it but it not bad. Is that true?

·
Registered
351 Posts
yes that's true. It's the stock tune on the ECU (the vehicles computer). The ECU sets things such as idle, power ranges, fuel cut off, fuel mapping, etc. . .The stock tune on the SVT is kind of crappy, leaving you with surging between 1500-2500RPMs, (this ranges on some caras).

Also, if you've noticed, when you start the car after sitting for awhile, the engine idles high, around 1200-1400RPMS. I've heard this explained various ways. One possibility, is because the cat is so far back, it takes extra time for the cat to heat up, before the idle's fall to normal. The other answer, is the stock tune sets this from start up.

Now the answer. You need a new tune. EVERY SVT is like this stock. You have a few options. First, I would take it to Ford, and have them reflash the ECU with THEIR version of the newer tune. They realized there was a problem, and rewrote the tune for cars under warranty. This tune will help. Then, I would search this site for "Tom's Tune Predator" and "Wayne's Hypnotic Tune". There you will read from various SVT guys about what the tunes are, what they can do, and how much they cost. Best thing to do is cruise this forum, there is WAY more information on here to be found than you could possibly dream of. It's an excellent resource.

And just so you know, the reflash from Ford, under warranty (3 years 36,000miles), is free. The tune from Wayne or Tom is around $300-$400, and includes the hardware to do it yourself. The Predator will also diagnose check engine lights, and Tom's current offer gets you FREE tunes for as long as your car is NA (Naturally Aspirated)

Take care,
ryanM

·
Registered
351 Posts
oh one more thing, this is NOT bad for your car. You can leave the stock tune on if you choose. I would at LEAST get it reflashed from Ford. But it's not hurting your car. The only thing it IS hurting is performance, a smooth ride, and maybe even your MPG.

ryanM

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for the info! much needed I'll probably bring it in nex week.[thumb]

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
The reflash hardly helps, it doesn't take care of all the other problems like bogging, cold start (hanging rpm at start up), flickering lights at idle. A custom tune from any of the mail order ppl, mcnews, focussport, tom, wayne, will take care of the issues. If you want the best fix for everything go to a local dyno and have them dyno tune it. Our cars are quirky from the factory some have problems others don't, some have more power than others, the factory tune is very bad and with this kind of engine a custom tune blows everything Ford makes out of the water.

·
Registered
351 Posts
right on MISVTfocus. I didn't expect my Ford Reflash to fix all of the problems. However, if i'm going to store another tune on my Predator after I install Tom's Tune, it might as well be the best one Ford could come up with.

That was why i had suggested to go to Ford first. But DEFINATELY all SVT's are in need of a custom tune.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just got my ECU reflashed. It seems to have made one difference. Now when i start the car is revs up to 2k and slowly goes down. Before it would only hit like 1600. Good thing I am running full synthetic so after the cars been sitting for awhile and I start it, its not gonna hurt anything with the good oil. Another thing that I think is worth while doing is changign the fuel filter. I think I am going to do that. My car has 37k on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts