Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on some new rims 17x7 with 215/45's. Upon driving it around I hear almost a squeeking from the front drivers side suspension/steering area. It almost sound like the spring compressing and causing the squeeking sound. It's kinda faint but I can hear it over my exhaust but not over any music. I checked for any rubbing due to wider tires, by the way I LOVE the stance with the 215's, but no dice. It wasn't there before I put on the new wheels, or it was muffled (I'm not sure how though?). I'm nearly stumped as to what this could be. Any help or input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noone? Any thoughts about maybe bushings that just decided to give or maybe my struts are starting to die. I just decided to check it out deeper and it definately is not a rubbing problem. Any single thought if it is likely or not would be useful. Thanks

·
Registered
549 Posts
is this when you hit bumps or just when driving along?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just driving along. Its not all the time though. When I'm going straight, theres no sound, but only at certain times when I'm turning

·
Registered
549 Posts
if its when you turn then it could be a few things, i lowered my car and after about 100 miles, my right front tire started cracking along the sidewall and made a sound almost like i had a flat when turning slowly. switch your front and rear tire to eliminate tire issues. if not then it can be a bearing, or the spring is rubbing in the tower. double check to make sure your tire is not contacting the inner wheel well by turning your wheel as far as it will go and checking the clearance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
^^^yeah try turning the wheel all the way and see if you hear the sound because i get that but only when it's turned as far as it can go so not much to worry about...210/45/17

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I checked with the wheels cut in both directions, I know its overkill for BOTH ways, but did anyway. Like I said before the tire isnt rubbing. But when I jacked up my car today to put on a resonator, It made the same sound. I've concluded its from when the axle/shock moves up or down. But its only on the right side. When it was jacked up, I pushed and pulled the wheel up and down and it made that noise so I know its caused by axle movement.

How would the spring rub on the strut tower?

It definatly not a tire issue. More a suspension thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts