Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good universal muffler that will fit in the small space, for the stock muffler? I drive a 2000 se 4dr, and I am having trouble finding a muffler for underneath because of the size restrictions. Would like a cannister muffler with a 4" tip or larger, but don't want that god awful ricer sound. Please Help!!!

[?|] [driving] [cheers] [scratch]

·
Registered
162 Posts
go to www.modernperformance.com and they have some universal mufflers that fit the focus, but I would wait and get a full cat back. (My HKS should be coming in in the next couple days)

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
ibspanky1980 said:
Would like a cannister muffler with a 4" tip or larger, but don't want that god awful ricer sound. Please Help!!!

[?|] [driving] [cheers] [scratch]
Even if you dont get the sound youll still have the look.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I have a RS Type universal muffler.. it fit and its a canister style in which I like(I think the tip is like 4" but Im not sure, I got it off ebay for like $40: $120 to install though).. but I got the exhaust shop to make it a cat back.. so yeah.. my focus doesnt put out a ricer sound.. its pretty low until I floor it..

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The reasons why you will want a full catback exhaust are:

A new catback will be made out of stainless steel(or should be anyways) and will resist corrosion and last the life of the car.

A new catback will also have a larger diameter piping throughout at 2.25 or 2.50. This is a huge improvement over the stock ~1.87in.

A new catback will give a full body sound without becoming tinny or "ricey"

Since a new exhaust has a larger diameter and a better free flowing muffler without the stock resonator, you will see a performance advantage of about 2-3hp.

Surprisingly enough the only advantage to having the stock catback is the design is good and doesn't restrict airflow, it's the diameter/muffler/resonator that do that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the magnaflow i got it for 220 brand new as well, i know someone who did the install for 50... i got an mac short ram intake tube for 30 and a k&n cone filter, the sound and performance is great. Also wit the coffee can muffler, at least in MD u get a ticket for an after market muffler. It is hard to tell with my magnaflow tip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i went to the performance shop i always go to and bought the magnaflow muffler and had a custom exhaust made and put the offroad pipe on it, its not to loud but loud enough and has a good sound to it only cost me 150 for the exhaust system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts