Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wanting to get a universal hi-flow and i know of at least one person that has done this before.

how do you guys think i should go about it? and where should i put it?

my only concern is if i put it to far back ive heard it wont heat up proplerly.

toeycrack, do you have any suggestions?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
you can custom weld it to the flex, that way you can run a header, thats the best place and it will heat up enough.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have a spun metal high flow cat on my car.
Clicky Clicky
I installed it when I did my SVT header conversion. Exhaust gas levels are fine once it lights, but it does take it a while.
I did sniff it (five gas) and HCs are off the meter for a while but does settle down to normal.

You might need to make a MIL eliminator, it could set a light once in a while.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i already have the svt header, so i was thinking of kocking the honey comb out of the stock cat and welding one prob. in the flex.

how would you make it fit? b/c it would still need a flex section so the engine could move.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I installed it in the stock location for an SVT. I would think it would be too close to install in the flex location. Plus, it might take hours for it to finally light.

I made a new 2 1/2" flex pipe too.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you fab up the rest of the pipe for it to fit to the cat?

i guess i could cut the flanges off of the stock cat and weld them on another pipe

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I ended up buying a used Random Tech high flow cat and pipe that was bad for $15. Bought a new converter and welded the new one in.

Cutting off the stock flanges will work just fine.
You could also source out any other 3 bolt flange on ebay and make your own.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
hey what kind of flex pipe are you running? svt's or zetec? if its zetec make the cat somewhat like hte random tec cat...

oh yeah here's a tip, if you make the cat sit under the oil pan (like randomTEC) make sure you get clearance when you weld it on ( mine is raelly close BUT not touching.... and thats fine, oil temp is normal) AND Remove the Bracket that holds the flex and cat pipe together... if you leave it on there will be more work, wasted time, working with and around that bracket.... if removed you can make a STRAIGHT cat, instead of having stupid bends for no reason.....

not having that bracket work's just fine, no major movement's....

i am wanting to get a universal hi-flow and i know of at least one person that has done this before.

how do you guys think i should go about it? and where should i put it?

my only concern is if i put it to far back ive heard it wont heat up proppery.

toeycrack, do you have any suggestions?

i've did research on people that have done this before.. and i pulled up that focusSport have did a custom cat in the flex pipe (zetec) , but when i was tryign to figure on how i was gunna do that way.... i just said forget it... had to work that bend on the back end of the flex, exstend the o2 wires, and hope things would go right...

so i just start lookin at hte random tec cat, ask'ed around on people that haves it, get me some picture and then made my own base on the random tec.

of yeah!!! i forgot... make the 3 bolt flange peice is gunna be the only real work ur gunna be doing... if you can get someone to milla out the 3 bolt holes along with the 2.5in hole.... SWEET... i got co-workers to do this for me... i can get more done too, but i just need the steel plates.. which im planning on getting.

after i for the flange holes all milla'ED out, i finish it off with a drumel... more time consuming...

i've also did the flanges, front and rear... with 1/4inch plates... i work'd with what i got on hand... ( from work that is) but when i do the next cat, im gunna up it to a little bigger then 1/4 and smaller then 1/2, so i can still cut it with my drumel

good luck!!!!

p.s. im gunna be making another cat for myself.... and im gunna be posting the 1st one on the fourms..... i don't know how long or when ur gunna install ur headers... but let me know!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
In retrospect of recent events that have occurred on this site, I must caution you that it is technically illegal to replace/relocate a functioning catalytic converter.
A fine up to $2,500.00 can be assessed for removing or tampering with a properly functioning catalytic converter
If you move the converter, you have broken a federal emission law and are subject to fines if you're caught.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
In retrospect of recent events that have occurred on this site, I must caution you that it is technically illegal to replace/relocate a functioning catalytic converter.
A fine up to $2,500.00 can be assessed for removing or tampering with a properly functioning catalytic converter
If you move the converter, you have broken a federal emission law and are subject to fines if you're caught.

wow.... did not know that..... i guess everyone that has done the svt header conversion has committed a crime. What about all the members that has ORP that deleted the cat? shall we say that we are all committing a crime? should we just say that the whole world that are fanatics not just in focus but in the whole automotive world has committed a crime?
SHAME SHAME ON US!......[smackbum]

...."I must caution you that it is technically illegal to replace/relocate a functioning catalytic converter. "

can't we just say that the old CC wasn't functioning, that it burnt out??
or it is wrong too lie??

its all on your prospective... but i say.... DO THE DAM THING!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Just covering my butt.
I don't want to be accused of giving bad information that got someone in trouble.

BTW the way, HOLY COW IS AN ORP ILLEGAL!!!!
YOU HAVE REMOVED AN EMISSION DEVICE FROM YOUR CAR. WICKED ILLEGAL!!!!!!

Modify at your own legal risk.

Taken from another thread just need to be clear:
Our job as a community is to educate those we feel are doing something wrong or for the wrong reasons. If you can not offer help in that regard you are more than welcome to read only.
In a situation like this where Carbon Monoxide poising can happen sooner and the "mod" more than likely breaks local noise ordinances/laws we must help the individual rather than bash/flame/ridicule them.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i already have the svt header on my car.

but im using the svt flex 2.5", i believe its shorter than the zetec one so it would prob be harder to sqeeze a cat in

i was thinking of just cutting the flanges off of my stock svt cat and using those

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
hey i havn't seen the svt cat... where is it located?

maybe you can work with that pipe and just cut out the old cat and replace it with a hfc?

-------------

are you planning on re-useing the svt flex? or going to zetec flex

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
From the looks of the SVT cat, all that would be useful are the flanges. or gut it and weld in a straight pipe.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the svt cat is shaped kinda like the zetec flex. it has an oval body so it looks like it would be hard to put a hiflow in

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i would take the advice that rhodySVT gave.... but if your planning on building a hfc for a zetec flex, ill be more then happy to help. lmk

-Bunna

1 - 17 of 17 Posts